• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tiersmoke92555

Prince George's County Freedom Fighter
    Jun 28, 2012
    Capitol Heights
    Sup my Peeps,
    :party29:

I am partaking of my first adventure of an AK build. I have been looking to just pick up either an 80% (I have to tools to finish on hand) or a flat ( will need to get a press jig). What makes it hard is trying to pick a brand of 80% or flat to buy. NoDak, AKBuilder, CNC, OHIO, or something that I cut myself what do I buy? Whom has the most complete and reliable kits where I don't have to buy a ton of replacement and compliance parts?

Your insight and wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

If one of you lead monkeys is willing to give me some face time that's cool too.:bowdown:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    AKBuilder has the best flats in the business IMO. If you can beg or borrow a jig, a flat will go together easier than an 80% since it has starter holes marked for the critical spots to drill properly.

The Polish shells are a pretty good buy, but I've read they don't harden as well.

I've gotten most of my kits from Apex or Whatacountry.

Stick to imported chrome-lined barrels if you can, if you buy a headspaced kit from AK Builder or a Romy G kit with barrel intact that's the easiest.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have a question, how hard is it to build a complete receiver from an 80% like this? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/akm-akms-receiver-blank.aspx?a=1003555
    do you just need to drill out some stuff and weld in the rails to make it a 100% reciever? if so then could i make one before oct 1 but not finish the rest of the build and then finish it whenever after oct 1 since the reciever is the firearm?

Sorry to hijack the thread...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I have a question, how hard is it to build a complete receiver from an 80% like this? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/akm-akms-receiver-blank.aspx?a=1003555
    do you just need to drill out some stuff and weld in the rails to make it a 100% reciever? if so then could i make one before oct 1 but not finish the rest of the build and then finish it whenever after oct 1 since the reciever is the firearm?

Sorry to hijack the thread...

no, because ATF has randomly determined that assembling an AK on a receiver is considered "manufacturing a firearm" even though the receiver is the actual firearm, as opposed to assembling an ar-15 on a stripped lower (presumably due to the extensively higher amount of machine work needed to build the AK as opposed to the AR).

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    no, because ATF has randomly determined that assembling an AK on a receiver is considered "manufacturing a firearm" even though the receiver is the actual firearm, as opposed to assembling an ar-15 on a stripped lower (presumably due to the extensively higher amount of machine work needed to build the AK as opposed to the AR).

Are you sure? shoot, guess i'm out of luck then

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Are you sure?

yep. i used google and everything. (hint there)

anyone who assembles an AK from a parts kit and a bare receiver not for themselves is considered to be "in the business of manufacturing" per ATF. has been that way since, oh, 2006-ish? shortly after i got into building.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    yep. i used google and everything. (hint there)

anyone who assembles an AK from a parts kit and a bare receiver not for themselves is considered to be "in the business of manufacturing" per ATF. has been that way since, oh, 2006-ish? shortly after i got into building.

I wasnt insinuating that you dont know what your talking about, I'm sure you have much more experience with ak's than me (obviously or i wouldnt be asking haha), i just dont know about all the regulations. I tried looking it up but I couldnt find anything official other than that the reciever is the firearm. Also it wouldnt be for anyone else it would just be for me. Is that still considered manufacturing?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Sup my Peeps,
    :party29:

I am partaking of my first adventure of an AK build. I have been looking to just pick up either an 80% (I have to tools to finish on hand) or a flat ( will need to get a press jig). What makes it hard is trying to pick a brand of 80% or flat to buy. NoDak, AKBuilder, CNC, OHIO, or something that I cut myself what do I buy? Whom has the most complete and reliable kits where I don't have to buy a ton of replacement and compliance parts?

Your insight and wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

If one of you lead monkeys is willing to give me some face time that's cool too.:bowdown:

I suggest starting with a square point shovel for the receiver. Seriously, I'd love to build one some day. The hardest part is probably heat treating it and spot welding the rails. It would make more financial sense if parts kits were reasonably priced.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I suggest starting with a square point shovel for the receiver. Seriously, I'd love to build one some day. The hardest part is probably heat treating it and spot welding the rails. It would make more financial sense if parts kits were reasonably priced.

Like Romanian kits for 89 bucks with original barrel and all fcg parts? Polish unissued underfolders for 249 with all accessories (3 new mags, pouch, cleaning kit, etc) and fcg and barrel?

Thats what I paid for my stuff. My bulgarian krink kit was the most expensive one I bought at 650 with original barrel. Everything else was well under 300 per. Many under 100. Only kit I'd buy now is an Egyptian with heiroglyphs (not arabic writing, the heiroglyphs on the rsb) or an original russian akm.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Like Romanian kits for 89 bucks with original barrel and all fcg parts? Polish unissued underfolders for 249 with all accessories (3 new mags, pouch, cleaning kit, etc) and fcg and barrel?

Thats what I paid for my stuff. My bulgarian krink kit was the most expensive one I bought at 650 with original barrel. Everything else was well under 300 per. Many under 100. Only kit I'd buy now is an Egyptian with heiroglyphs (not arabic writing, the heiroglyphs on the rsb) or an original russian akm.

Man, that makes me sick. Times sure have changed. Last I checked Romanian kits were $500.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Man, that makes me sick. Times sure have changed. Last I checked Romanian kits were $500.

Yeh, the price on Kits is retarded. People actually pay 400-500 for a Romanian kit with original barrel when you can easily find a SAR-1 for 600-700 and not have to bother with the labor and parts expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom