• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    First off let me start by saying...fawk this shit...
    Secondly, don't use a bench grinder
    Thirdly, don't use 120 grit sandpaper
    Fourthly, make sure you use your punch in the center of the rivet
    Fifthly, actually center your drill bit over the rivet
    Sixthly, use a large punch to get started
    Seventhly, don't try to use a punch in your 20-ton press
    Eighthly, don't use a 5lb hammer on punches smaller then 3/32
    Ninethly, don't use a smaller hammer after you've already bent a punch that is smaller then 3/32
    Tenthly, be glad that there are two sides to a rivet

So in case you can't tell...I fought with this thing for quite a while... I did finally succeed.

For those of you wondering how to go about this....

First off, we need to find the rivet heads. Take some 220 grit or higher sandpaper, not a bench grinder, not an angle grinder, not 120 grit, not 150 grit... Take some seriously high grit paper. Sand off the finish about from the end of the carrier about 1" back. Take your time, use a magnifying glass if you like. Make sure you have good light. You will gradually see the outline of your rivet head. Once you find one and are sure it's what you're looking for...go to the other side and find the other side.

Now take your punch and center it up in the rivet head and give yourself a little divot to start a drill in.

Clamp the carrier in your drill press, or in a vice if you're doing this with a hand drill. And start with a small bit. Don't worry about depth(just stay shallow). Just make sure you stay centered on that rivet... Work your way up in bit size until you have just cleared the outer edge of the rivet head.

Now get your punch and drive that sumbitch through... I found that an 1/8" straight punch made it all the way through, tapered punches will not make it all the way through without getting caught.

After the rivet is out, just unscrew the gas piston(normal threads, righty tighty/lefty loosey)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    WOW- Thanks for being the beta tester ;) This is why I will want as many people as possible around before even attempting to de-mill....
    Thanks for the update!

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    WOW- Thanks for being the beta tester ;) This is why I will want as many people as possible around before even attempting to de-mill....
    Thanks for the update!

In all honesty, I'm not the kind of person to take their time.... If I had slowed down just a hair, double and triple checked alignments, made sure I was found the rivet, etc etc It would have probably gone without a hitch...

Also starting with a high grit sandpaper will make finding your rivet heads much simpler....

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    This is why you can keep my compliance kits- I'll come up to you so you can show me what to do on the de-mill. I'll also get a list of tools or punches or whatever from you so that I may purchase them before heading up-don't want to break your stuff (at least any more than you have:innocent0).

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    This is why you can keep my compliance kits- I'll come up to you so you can show me what to do on the de-mill. I'll also get a list of tools or punches or whatever from you so that I may purchase them before heading up-don't want to break your stuff (at least any more than you have:innocent0).

LOL no problem. I really need to get a new camera so I can document this crap. Next time I do one of these(I've got 2 more of my own and my little bro has 1 as well lol) I'll take my time a bit more and I'll write down the different tools I used...

Although luckily my house is only about 10 minutes from a Sears...so Craftsman tools are easy to get replaced. :lol2:

turbosc20

Nov 6, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I replaced my gas piston on my AK (romy G) a few weeks ago.

It's a hard one to find but i was able to used light at an angle to see the outline of the rivet head. I used a small drill bit to start the hole after i found the rivet head. Then switched over to a larger bit until the rivet head broke off and punched the rivet out.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Flash hider is a good choice as well.

As is stock, pistol grip, Hammer, trigger, sear....

I figured I'd keep as much hidden as possible, not that I'm trying to build a replica or anything...

And honestly...getting the rivet out is not that hard...I'm sure my next one will go MUCH smoother

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I liked the flash hider cause they are cheap. Just a little Made in usa on the rim and they are identical.

The Romy stock is pretty damn ugly though....

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I read somewhere that the US pistons that are not marked USA are identified Made in the USA by being stainless? If that makes any sense.

When I got my pistons, I though it would be simple unscrew and screw the new one in - I didn't realize they were pinned. My next though was "This is going to be a bitch" It is hard to see the pin at first.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I read somewhere that the US pistons that are not marked USA are identified Made in the USA by being stainless? If that makes any sense.

When I got my pistons, I though it would be simple unscrew and screw the new one in - I didn't realize they were pinned. My next though was "This is going to be a bitch" It is hard to see the pin at first.

High grit sandpaper is your friend :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom