• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Is it loose because of stripped gas lock threads?

The threads on my South Korean import were so bad, the gas lock just spun in circles. And the gas tube would fly off when firing.

CMP put a new barrel on her. Happy Days.

Orlando

When a gas cylinder is loose it is from worn barrel splines not the gas cylinder
    Simple fix, peen over the splines on the barrel
    Whwn buying a used gas cylinderr you need to make sure it gages in spec, many are worn junk. How much is he wanting for it?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Peen the top spline lightly with a 8-10oz hammer. do the rear 1/3 to allow the gas cylinder to start easy without having to beat it all the way on. The lock should start to get tight before allowing the plug to thread in. Mine (handgaurds) like to have a little front-and back play without binding on the gas cylinder or lower band. Go easy its not hard to overdo it, you don't want to end up with stripped threads. Have some extra locks on hand for over index.

Last edited:

Orlando

Since the OP is buying the gas cylinder he may not need to peen anything unless his barrel splines on his rifle are also worn. When you peen barrel splines you peen all of them not just the top. A properly fit gas cylinder is very tight
    I have installed many NOS cylinders on NOS barrels and have split the block of wood trying to install the cylinder. People are used to old worn parts and do not know what a proper fitted part is like

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Of course the barrel splines are more than likely worn if the rifle has been around, the gas cylinder is SS as you already know and much harder than the splines. I never seen wear on the cylinder splines themselves but I'm no expert. Beat them all 3 down to hard and not drive it on hard enough ( with block of wood) one could be tempted to get where you need to be with the threads which could go bad like the other fellow, that's all I'm saying. And of course make sure it stays on there for awhile and everything else is right so it doesn't need to come off all that often for maintenance anyway.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I thought you were buying a cylinder, not the whole rifle. If cylinder is that loose I would check the rest of the rifle. What else is worn?
    $950 should buy a rifle in spec that you dont have to do anything to

ya that's his asking price its a complete Garand with a loose gas tube , I'm holding out until I go to the Fredericksburg VA show this weekend last year their was a guy from Florida their with a dozen Garand's with

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom