• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I am looking into a good .22LR conversion kit for the RIA 1911A1 (From the MDS Group Buy). It's just cheaper to shoot :D

It's called a GSG-1911. For not a lot more than a good conversion kit, you've got two guns, your .45 and a dedicated .22, and don't have to fiddle with transitioning back and forth. I take my GSG and a .45 to the range, practice with the .22, then switch over to the .45.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd rather get a dedicated .22 pistol versus a conversion kit, that way I don't have to try to change the slide/barrel assembly at the range, increasing the chances of losing parts downrange.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    It's called a GSG-1911. For not a lot more than a good conversion kit, you've got two guns, your .45 and a dedicated .22, and don't have to fiddle with transitioning back and forth. I take my GSG and a .45 to the range, practice with the .22, then switch over to the .45.

This!:thumbsup:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd rather get a dedicated .22 pistol versus a conversion kit, that way I don't have to try to change the slide/barrel assembly at the range, increasing the chances of losing parts downrange.
    There are some advantages to a conversion kit, though. With a conversion kit, you don't need a second trigger job, second pair of grips, etc. If you dumped a ton of money into the frame and associated bits, it can make sense to go the conversion route.

I would, however, caution against using guns with non-aluminum slides. Seen too many of those break, and there are better alternatives out there (RIA XT22!).

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Just get a RIA XT22. All steel, exact same lower as a RIA Tac. Can't go wrong

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I'll take all your ideas into consideration,and when I get a day off of work head over to Engage and talk to the 'Boss' :D

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Not sure about the 1911 but I just put the Tactical Solutions 22 conversion on my Glock 17 and the first range trip (Friday night) wasn't great. I had feed failures on 1 out of every 5 rounds or so using CCI Stingers. I picked up a variety of .22 ammo yesterday so I'm going to try again today or tomorrow. From all of the reading I did about the conversions ammo makes a big difference so a little trial and error wasn't entirely unexpected.
    The kit is very well made and converting my Glock to shoot .22 takes all of 10 seconds so I hope I get the feeding issues resolved.
    I've seen plenty of 1911's setup for .22 but I'm not sure about the price. If it were close I'd go for a dedicated .22 because changing over a 1911 would take a little more time then swapping out a Glock slide.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    There are some advantages to a conversion kit, though. With a conversion kit, you don't need a second trigger job, second pair of grips, etc. If you dumped a ton of money into the frame and associated bits, it can make sense to go the conversion route.

I would, however, caution against using guns with non-aluminum slides. Seen too many of those break, and there are better alternatives out there (RIA XT22!).
    If you are actually training/competing you only have to commit one gun to muscle memory. Kind of like my Dan Wesson and EAA Witness. I can swap barrel/slide setups and shoot stock to unlimited in the same event with the same gun.
    Not sure about the 1911 but I just put the Tactical Solutions 22 conversion on my Glock 17 and the first range trip (Friday night) wasn't great. I had feed failures on 1 out of every 5 rounds or so using CCI Stingers. I picked up a variety of .22 ammo yesterday so I'm going to try again today or tomorrow. From all of the reading I did about the conversions ammo makes a big difference so a little trial and error wasn't entirely unexpected.
    The kit is very well made and converting my Glock to shoot .22 takes all of 10 seconds so I hope I get the feeding issues resolved.
    I've seen plenty of 1911's setup for .22 but I'm not sure about the price. If it were close I'd go for a dedicated .22 because changing over a 1911 would take a little more time then swapping out a Glock slide.
    There was another thread about 22 conversions that explained how a rough cocking lug can cause drag and hang up 22 versions/conversions on normal full sized pistols.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've also had issues with Tac Sol conversion and wouldn't recommend anything they make. Have a look at the Marvel conversions; they're really nice.

http://www.marvelprecision.com/

beauty_shot.jpg

u2angledlg.jpg

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010

I have one for my 17 and don't have any issues. I only shoot CCI MiniMags (40gr HV CPRN). The manual recommends those along with CCI Blazers and I believe Federal ammo of some sort. I tried Federal Bulk pack and would not feed.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1490383#post1490383

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD

I have a few .22 conversions, including a Marvel 1911 conversion mounted on my Series 70 Colt frame, but I am finding I seem to prefer a dedicated .22 handgun to the conversions. It can get a little messy switching the centerfire and .22 conversions back and forth on the range.

For about the same price as a good .22 conversion, the Ruger 2245 with removable grips is easily set up to pretty well duplicate the 1911. I got mine for just over $300 in March.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For the price of a conversion kit (actually less on some of them) you can buy a reloader, and bullet casting equip, and shoot your 1911 in 45 ACP, all you want for cheap.

That way you wont have to neuter your 1911.

^This.

or

The GSG-1911

Either way you can't lose really, loading .45 ACP is a joy (to me anyways), and the GSG-1911 is a fun lil shooter, and not that hateful on the pocket - trigger's are pretty decent out of the box too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom