• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -I was dropping off the latest consignment for a late January all military auction at Redding Auction last Saturday when I noticed a very rare pocket pistol. The Slavia in 6.35mm was a copy of the Browning 1905 pocket pistol minus the grip safety. Produced by Antonin Vilímec, this Czech pocket pistol was produced from 1921 until 1935 when Antonin Vilímec sold the factory to PZK which then produced the pistol with the Mars name. Then in 1937 František Dušek, who started off making barrels for Mars, started producing his own copy of the Mars under the familiar DUO name.
    -Being a DUO fanboy I had to make a play for the Slavia. So I threw a firm absentee bid at it and got it for substantially less. Other than some minor freckling it's in VG condition. Especially like that the hard rubber grips have survived intact.
    -This is one of the last Slavias built with a 1934 date stamp. No way to know how many Slavia pistols were assembled, but safe to say nowhere near the quantity of DUOs. This one has a production number of 1094 so we know that at least that many were built in '34.
    -The Slavia is virtually unseen here on this side of the pond. A deep dive on the 'net only turned up a couple of examples with Scotty @ Pre-98 selling a very nice Slavia rig for $1450 about 4 years ago. His was '33 dated and had a SN just 600 numbers earlier than mine.

Attachments

• IMGP0198.JPG
      IMGP0198.JPG
      238.4 KB · Views: 43
    • IMGP0199.JPG
      IMGP0199.JPG
      189.9 KB · Views: 43
    • IMGP0201.JPG
      IMGP0201.JPG
      286 KB · Views: 43
    • IMGP0202.JPG
      IMGP0202.JPG
      182.5 KB · Views: 46

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Now there's something you don't see every day :)
    One thing's for sure, we both share a healthy interest in the obscure. It didn't hurt that I was the only person in the room (virtually) who either knew what it was or had an interest in it. Redding placed it in the second ring which is their version of the Island of Misfit Toys. Too ashamed to say what I paid for it, which made it easier to justify adding it to the safe at a time when I'm supposed to be downsizing for retirement and an eventual move.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So, the recent Bayard and Menta purchases got me reading about the Duo and the Slavia as I wandered down that rabbit hole. Super cool to see pictures of one outside of a book! Nice nab!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom