• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BitFlipper

Mar 3, 2009
    Harford County
    Greetings everyone,
    I have recently decided to purchase a handgun, and have been searching the web looking for information and discussion boards. In researching the gun laws in Maryland, a Google search landed me here. For the last few days I’ve been reading the forums and decided this is a place I need to hang out. Very friendly and, knowledgeable people seem to inhabit this site, so I joined today.

A little about me…I live in Harford county, and I am looking to purchase my first handgun. My usage will be home defense, and recreational. Taking advice from friends and other web sites, I’ve been visiting a local public range trying different pistols looking for one that feels comfortable and I can handle well. I’ve decided on a 9mm for my first one. I’ve shot a Sig P226, and a Glock 17 so far, and expect to fire an S&W M&P and a Springfield XDM before I make my choice. Once I do it looks like Gun Connection in White Marsh is the place to go for the purchase.

I’m also interested in helping get Maryland’s gun laws fixed. I never realized how backward this state is as far as gun rights (or lack thereof).
    Thanks for having me.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    oh and I have and XD(m) in 9mm if you want to try it maybe we can meet up, Also check out the Hazzard County Shooters social group

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Welcome, and don't forget to accessorize, extra clips, lost of ammo, a holster, etc, etc, etc.

And this is only the beginning;)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Welcome....and do you have your C&R FFL and MD designated collector's status yet? :)
    Not necessary for handgun ownership in MD of course, but damn helpful ;)

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Welcome....and do you have your C&R FFL and MD designated collector's status yet? :)
    Not necessary for handgun ownership in MD of course, but damn helpful ;)

Might as well put in the Collector app now, might get it in time for xmas

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Welcome!
    C&R definately worth it, and don't forget to get your Maryland collectors license as well.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Welcome. I'm new too. I bought a .40 S&W M&P. Shoot different calibers before deciding on one. Mine has little kick and is incredibly fun. Don't pick 9mm just because it's the light option.

BitFlipper

Mar 3, 2009
    Harford County
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

For the C&R FFL and MD designated collector's status, no I don’t have either, where can I find more info, and since my interest is modern handguns, is there any benefit to getting it now ?

I did join the Hazzard County Shooters social group, thanks for the pointer.

Ahh, the big question, why 9mm ? Well it is going to be my first, and I expect to shoot quite a bit, and I’m thinking of aggregate ammo costs. I wanted to concentrate on my shooting technique and not worry too much about the larger recoil. My wife wants to learn how to shoot it so smaller is better for that. And I like the larger magazine capacity of most of the 9mm I've looked at. So for a first gun mainly for HD, and recreation, I thought I’d start out with a 9mm. I know this topic is sort of like a Ford vs. Chevy discussion, but I plan to acquire more, bigger, and different guns in the future, maybe a revolver, a 1911… Who knows where it will lead. However I will fire the other calibers before I swipe the plastic, so I just may change my mind.

Thanks Again.

Now I’ve got to go make a snappy signature line.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

For the C&R FFL and MD designated collector's status, no I don’t have either, where can I find more info, and since my interest is modern handguns, is there any benefit to getting it now ?
    Yes, there is a benefit to getting one now for a few reasons and yes there are some more modern guns on the list you can get like a CZ82 is on it.
    A lot of info here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=14616

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom