• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I'm an IDPA virgin, but I'm looking forward to getting involved. Currently I am gearing up, but I find the IDPA rulebook to be somewhat confusing. I'm going to be shooting a Glock 17 and I need a good holster/mag carrier setup. I'm eyeing the Sidearmor Kydex Modular OWB, but I don't know if it is IDPA legal. Can someone with IDPA experience give me some guidance? I don't want to buy a bunch of gear only to find out I can't use it. Thanks!

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    The Sidearmor stuff should be good to go. A lot of people use it. Also:

Blade-Tech

Comp-tac

I also have some links for guys that do leather, but that gets pricey, quick. I'll dig them up if you want.

Remember, it has to be for concealed carry. The Sidearmor combo packages look good. You can probably get away with one mag carrier if you have 15+ round mags (one in the gun, one spare on the belt). I would have 6 mags at least, to make things easy. 3 minimum.

Come out again and make sure you talk to the Match Director (Rick Boswell). His word is final for the IDPA matches here

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I was actually starting to lean towards the Blade-Tech, as I have read numerous positive reviews for their Kydex belt holster for IDPA. Do you know if anyone sells their stuff locally? According to the Blade-Tech website, there is a 6 week backorder on many of their products.

As for magazines, I've ordered 4 extra from TopGlock, which will bring my total to 6. Aren't shooters limited to 10 + 1 regardless of magazine capacity?

I plan on observing a few more events before I start shooting myself, so that I can familiarize myself with the rules and procedures. Anyway, I need to get some serious range time to get my skills back on par so that I don't make an ass out of myself.

Last edited:

Tree Rat

Always a good target
    May 20, 2005
    Good choice....I was going to offer to let you borrow mine if you didn't get one yet.

You get that club application in yet?

TR

Douglas

Dec 26, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    The Glock 17 can be used in 2 classes, ESP & SSP and for those, max capacity is 10+1 (some SO's are sticklers for "topping off" - or starting w/ 11 in the gun even if you only have 10 round mags.

(just realized this thread was from June 2005) -by now though, you have already gone to some shoots. How'd it go? Which club? What about 2006?

IDPA is awesome. :party29:

D.C. Johnson

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Since I didn't know how often I'd use my Glock 32 in competition, I went cheap and got a Fobus belt holster and 2 mag holder. Something like $50 shipped from Midway for the pair, and they work great (but not good enough to make me not shoot my 1911 in CDP). I can't justify over $60 on a plastic holster when $25 works so good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom