• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhiteWhale056

Apr 27, 2012
    chaptico, md
    I am in no way writing this for GunVault, but doing it on my own to benefit anyone who might be interested in this.

A buddy of mine I went to Myrtle Grove with had one for his AR-15 that just slid up into the magwell and locked into place. I had asked him what he thought about it and got "Love it. So worth it." After hearing this, I searched and bought both the .223/5.56 system as well as the shotgun version. I can't touch much on the Rifle version currently, but the shotgun goes like this.

Taking it right out of the package it is hardly much bigger than the breech and is made of a durable reinforced nylon. The installation comes down to 7 full steps (depending on your model). You read the chart to determine the manufacturer, model and chamber size. From here (again, model depending) you attach one of the five breech inserts into the lock body and press it in place until it clicks. Then, with the key in the unlock position, you insert the breech insert into the breech at a slight angle and press into place and turn the key clockwise to lock and remove the key. The only issue while doing this is that I ran into was that it is very stiff to begin with when lock/unlocking in the breech. I filed down the top of the locking mechanism slightly and played with turning the key a few times to break it in. The price seemed fair to me, for right around $15.00 + shipping I had it to me in less than a week from amazon.com. The Rifle version Runs the same price.

I mainly bought this primarily to keep my (future) rifle and shotgun locked when not being used and while transporting to/from the range. And those that have Winchester (speed pump defender & field), Remington (870 2 3/4 + 3" & 3.5" chamber) and Mossberg (500, 535, 835). The Rifle lock system states "fits virtually all .223/5.56 AR Carbine Rifles. This isn't an ideal locking system for your home defense gun in my opinion.

So far I have had no issues with removing and inserting the BreechVault to see how easy it is to do and would be both at home or at the range.

Pros: Easy to install, easy to remove/insert, bright orange color - can't miss it being there, relatively low pricing out there

Cons: stiff break in period, not a huge variety of breech inserts available in the package, cannot have a round in the chamber, no shell can be in the tube to be chambered

Below is a picture of what the BreechVault looks like on my Mossberg 500 Special Purpose.

IMG_1980.jpg

BreechVault breech side view:
    IMG_6355.jpg

Front of the Rifle Lock package:
    IMG_1126.jpg

Back of the Rifle lock Package:
    IMG_0481.jpg

I would give this a 4/5 due to the fact that a shell can not be chambered or loaded with the lock in, but overall a great product that I would buy another of without a doubt. There is also more information over at the manufacturers website at www.gunvault.com

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I like this type of gun lock more than the old style of trigger lock. These would be a great way to childproof a firearm.

Please keep in mind that given a little time a theif will find a way to remove this or any other lock. These locks will not stop theft of the firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom