• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    With Factory Loaded Ammo Prices inflating each time you turn around more are now Handloading! I suggest including a Forum Section on this Board for our Members & Guests who Handload or who are thinking of starting so we can share all the ins & outs of Handloading, including Load Data.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Cool! Great idea.

But I suggest we have a sticky up with a warning about load data. It is easy to make a typo or for an idgit show up and post something ridiculous and someone ends up with a kaboom as a result. TFL and THR have a similar sticky in their handloading forums http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=27444

Good idea. Since I haven't reloaded in more than 10 years, I don't think I am comfortable writing a warning, and I don't want to snake THR's. Could one of you knowledgeable MDShooters write a warning, and I will stick it? Thanks.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Good idea. Since I haven't reloaded in more than 10 years, I don't think I am comfortable writing a warning, and I don't want to snake THR's. Could one of you knowledgeable MDShooters write a warning, and I will stick it? Thanks.

Hmm, I wanted to copy and paste from THR :o

I might might come up with something, but it depends on what kind of warning we should have. My version will need some revising and fine tuning though I know.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Caution: If you are posting loading data, please remind people to be careful using it and to always work up to the loading in incrimental steps.
    If you are posting some hot loads or any loading that is in excess of commonly published loads from manuals, then include a caution with your post in bold emphasizing it is above recommended loadings or a potentially dangerous hot load.
    Also make sure to include "Use at your own risk" if you are posting hot load information.

All loads listed by all posters should be used with caution regardless of if they are hot loads or not. We are all human and a typo can occur on the number or with a misplaced decimal place on the number of grains needed, or the type of powder may have been confused (for instance, 5.0 grains of one powder may be fine, but 5.0 grains of another type could have twice as much chamber pressure and damage your gun, or worse, you).

Also please remember to use caution when using other members references to manuals because their manual may be old. Older manuals list data from the the formula for that powder with the pressure levels they produced at that time. Newer powders may produce higher pressure levels and the loading in the old manual could be too powerful. [Lambo or anyone else, double check on this before we put it in the sticky because I am not sure if I am correct on the old powders formula thingy.]

If you are going to use the load data another member posted, then it is always prudent to work up to that load. This is also a good idea with published load data.

.............Just a start I guess. Anything to change or to add anyone, please feel free.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Novus you are correct vis-a-vis manufacturers changing powder formulations. As a matter of fact, I was told by an NRA-metallic reloading instructor that you should reduce previously tested loads and retest them if you bought powder from a different lot. This is why I hate Maryland's crappy 5 pound rule and why it is endangers the public rather than promoting safety which one would think is the manifest reason for it in the first place.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    You should use reloading formulas gathered off the internet as a guide only. Lets suppose that you want to reload a 7mm remington mag. Some people know that Reloader 22 is a great powder for this cartridge but if you are posting your results post the type of rifle you are shooting it from it's barrel's rate of twist because the rate of twist has a lot to do with pressure. Post not only what kind of bullet but the make like Nosler Partition , Speer 180 gr Grand slam and not just a HPBT.
    I am suggesting to be a bit specific with the rifle, barrel twist, powder and type of bullet. I am also strongly suggesting that information garnered is cross referenced off of some of the powder websites like IMR, better yet get the reloading books and cross reference two or three.
    I Reload for 30-06 M1 Garand 4064 powder using 165 gr speer gamekings. 7MM Mag, 7.5X55 very shortly, .30 cal carbine,7.62X54R, 270, among others

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom