• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bemmster

Jan 25, 2024
    Harford County, MD
    Hey all. Newbie here and just getting into guns and shooting so I'm sure I'll be posting tons of questions. I'm in IT so I build extremely high end custom computers, got into fishing several years ago, and have done archery off and on most of my life. My dad was big time into archery, had several sponsorships, won several state competitions, etc. and picked up lots from him. Have been wanting to get into guns and shooting for a long time now and for the past few months I decided to really start doing some serious research in order to jump in.

That being said, I've only gone shooting twice. I've shot two different 9mm hand guns (Shadow Systems MR920 and Walther PDP), an LWRC IC-A5 16", and a Benelli M4.

For my first purchase I was looking at getting an AR15. Limited options in MD so I was wondering what everyone would recommend? One major factor for me with getting into shooting other than it's fun as hell is having good options for home defense and just incase there is ever a SHTF scenario. I also want to get everything now before everything becomes more restricted even though I'm already late to the game on that.

I loved the LWRC IC-A5, generally when I get into different things I do serious research and I go for more high end stuff. If I'm going to jump into something I like to do it right - so I don't mind spending some cash to get something quality. Before anyone makes the post, I'm not spending everything I have on the gun - I'm also planning on doing LOTS of training :). I'll make a separate post for recommendations on that.

Here is what I was currently considering getting - let me know if you have other suggestions (or if I should post this somewhere else):

LWRC IC-A5 14.7" (Comes standard with a Pin and Welded A2 Flash Hider) in either OD Green or Flat Dark Earth
    Remove the flash hider and get it re-pinned for a HuxWrx QD muzzle brake
    HuxWrx 556 Flow or 556 Ventum (just announced at shot show) suppressor
    EOTech EXPS3-2 Holographic with either a G43 or G45 magnifier (haven't decided on the magnifier or mount yet, want to check them out in person)
    I also want to get a light with a switch pad, haven't started looking at these yet (let me know your thoughts)

Other rifles or parts I should be considering? I don't think I'm at the level yet where I can build my own, but would like to down the road. If there are good instructional videos or something out there for building I'm all ears.

Thanks all!!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    When it comes to AR's, so far, the only limit to the number you can buy is your wallet...so you don't have to pick just one.
    Consider starting with a very basic middle of the road carbine, like a Del-ton, Windham, or Ruger and learn how easy it is to love being bone stock. Then you'll appreciate all the improvements in you second "fancy" AR, plus you'll have the first one as a spare. Just my 2 cents. I really think every American (even if they are prisoners of the Feestate) should have at least one basic, iron sighted AR.

If you really want to dive deep into AR's and come out with the best, take a course from the School Of The American Rifle (SOTAR).
    The courses are not cheap, and usually booked way out, but, once you take one, you'll most likely agree that it was a bargain (and you want more). Plus, you can walk into the course with a box of parts (that will be approved in advance by the instructor) and walk out with an in-spec and functional rifle. You can also learn A LOT from the SOTAR videos on youtube while you wait for the class ;)

Bemmster

Jan 25, 2024
    Harford County, MD
    When it comes to AR's, so far, the only limit to the number you can buy is your wallet...so you don't have to pick just one.
    Consider starting with a very basic middle of the road carbine, like a Del-ton, Windham, or Ruger and learn how easy it is to love being bone stock. Then you'll appreciate all the improvements in you second "fancy" AR, plus you'll have the first one as a spare. Just my 2 cents. I really think every American (even if they are prisoners of the Feestate) should have at least one basic, iron sighted AR.

If you really want to dive deep into AR's and come out with the best, take a course from the School Of The American Rifle (SOTAR).
    The courses are not cheap, and usually booked way out, but, once you take one, you'll most likely agree that it was a bargain (and you want more). Plus, you can walk into the course with a box of parts (that will be approved in advance by the instructor) and walk out with an in-spec and functional rifle. You can also learn A LOT from the SOTAR videos on youtube while you wait for the class ;)
    This class looks amazing, I'm totally doing this. Thanks for linking this!!

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Welcome aboard!

For starters- visit the next 3 gun shows and shop multiple options (multiple dealers) per day.

howard gun show-

chantilly gun show

Also consider joining -

If you like, VOLUNTEER for any or all three events-

As a volunteer, admission as a 'vendor' is free-

Captain TS

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2013
    Harford County
    Welcome from Fallston! If you're going to be shooting a lot - nothing wrong with a .22 too. Plus ammo is much cheaper

Any recent PC builds to share

dehos

Mar 23, 2024
    Glen Burnie
    PC building is a great hobby. I many of my coworkers into gaming by building them their first computer. I always made bargain mid range PCs nothing super high end. Welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom