• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have been thinking about changing out my wood stock on my Ruger 10/22. I have completed all parts except the barrel and stock and I used kidd parts. The rifle shoots great even with the standard barrel. I like the look of the wood but it isn't that wonderful to hold. I like the MagPul x-22 hunter and think that would work because I could go with either barrel. I really wanted to see if anyone here was using the Hogue stock and what their thoughts were on it. I also wanted to know if that stock allows the barrel to free float. The Hogue stock is about half the cost of the x-22. Is the x-22 worth the extra cost? I hope to get some good feedback without opening up a big can of worms.... The one thing I don't want to do is have it effect my accuracy. As it sits it is very accurate! My intended purpose is not for it to be a bench gun but a carry rapid fire plinker.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I have the X-22 and I like it a lot. Very comfortable and you can adjust both the length of pull and cheek height easily.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    If you decide to go with the Hogue and you have/want the bull barrel let me know. I have one brand new in the box I’ll let go for cheap. Nothing wrong with it; I decided I liked the Magpul better after I bought the Hogue.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have the Hogue, X22, Titan, and other 10/22 stocks. I bought the Hogue first, many years ago. It is a perfectly good stock.

While not free floated, the fore end has enough rigidity to use a sling without changing POI. I had to put a cheek riser on mine - but that was cheap and easy (though not as easy and reversible as the X22). It is a bit lighter than the X22 (which I find unnecessarily heavy) and more grippy. You should consider whether you like the more exaggerated pistol grip (X22) vs traditional (Hogue) for your shooting purposes. The Hogue comes with traditional sling mounts, saving you at least $40 over the X22 if you want to mount a sling or bipod.

My Hogue is no longer on my top-performing rifle (which uses an X22) but still puts up very high scores (240s) in Appleseed with a standard diameter 10/22 barrel and modest scope.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Hogue is much better than a basic 10/22 stock. Definitely a great value for the price but the X-22 can be adjusted to fit you perfectly.

I am also a fan of the steep grip angle and weight. I really wish Magpul would make one for the CZ 457.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I believe I have got a Hogue over molded collecting dust in the basement. If you want to take a trip to Westminster to pick it up you are welcome to it. It's for a bull barrel. Green

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I put a bull target barrel and Hogue. It shoots great and it does free float. Accurate as all heck.
    I miss my wood stock though and think I may put it back into original config for this year just to shoot it stock.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    The Hogue is much better than a basic 10/22 stock. Definitely a great value for the price but the X-22 can be adjusted to fit you perfectly.

I am also a fan of the steep grip angle and weight. I really wish Magpul would make one for the CZ 457.

Love CZ. I bought the 457 Varmint with the 17HMR and 22LR barrels. I currently am using the 17HMR. My favorite rifle for sure. A true blast to shoot and so damn accurate. No upgrades needed if you ask me.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I put a bull target barrel and Hogue. It shoots great and it does free float. Accurate as all heck.
    I miss my wood stock though and think I may put it back into original config for this year just to shoot it stock.

Interesting you say that. What is it that you miss so much?

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I believe I have got a Hogue over molded collecting dust in the basement. If you want to take a trip to Westminster to pick it up you are welcome to it. It's for a bull barrel. Green

I really appreciate the offer. That is very generous of you. I may take you up on it if I decide to put on a bull barrel.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Interesting you say that. What is it that you miss so much?

Just the classic look and feel.
    I will put the wood stock back on then use the stock sights also.

Don't get me wrong, Its accurate as all heck. And the stock was an improvement. Putting the original stock and barrel on will make it less accurate.

Its just that I now have a more accurate rimfire in my bolt gun now. Want to spend the year shooting it in the original config.

BTW, I can't recall if I had to grind any plastic off to get it to pass the $1 bill test or not. This was done back in 2016

Attachments

• rimfirehogue.jpg
      rimfirehogue.jpg
      98.3 KB · Views: 169
    • Ruger1022.jpg
      Ruger1022.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 173

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Just the classic look and feel.
    I will put the wood stock back on then use the stock sights also.

Don't get me wrong, Its accurate as all heck. And the stock was an improvement. Putting the original stock and barrel on will make it less accurate.

Its just that I now have a more accurate rimfire in my bolt gun now. Want to spend the year shooting it in the original config.

BTW, I can't recall if I had to grind any plastic off to get it to pass the $1 bill test or not. This was done back in 2016

We have the same gun. Mine is just like yours was when original only I upgraded the trigger, bolt, etc. with Kidd parts.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Its more expensive, but you may also want to look at the PDC Custom chassis. I have heard great things about them, but they are 500.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Its more expensive, but you may also want to look at the PDC Custom chassis. I have heard great things about them, but they are 500.

Maybe if I were competitive shooting but I am just plinking so that price is more than I choose to spend. I would however like to see the PDC stock. It must be awesome for that kind of money.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I did the same kind of thing with my 10/22. It was a plain Jane so I decided to put a FAB Defense tacticool collapsible stock on it with a threaded barrel. I pretty quickly missed the wood and finally settled on this Boyds salt and pepper stock. Super happy with it.

Attachments

• rifle-22lr-ruger-10-22-alt.jpg
      rifle-22lr-ruger-10-22-alt.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 222
    • rifle-22lr-ruger-10-22.jpg
      rifle-22lr-ruger-10-22.jpg
      84.6 KB · Views: 136

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I did the same kind of thing with my 10/22. It was a plain Jane so I decided to put a FAB Defense tacticool collapsible stock on it with a threaded barrel. I pretty quickly missed the wood and finally settled on this Boyds salt and pepper stock. Super happy with it.

That Boyds sure is pretty! How does it shoot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom