• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    For civil war era revolvers (not cowboy style) do you prefer flap or no flap. Trying to decide for new .31 Wells Fargo. Just looking to see what others prefer and why?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Baggy pants, baggy jacket, lots of waistband/belt carry I think.

Army holsters had flaps. They were for bigger guns, of course. Sometimes civilians cut the flaps off.

Those little .31s were private purchase, not issued.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    To quote Josey Wales, "Well, that one in the center, he had a flap holster and he was in no itchin' hurry. And the one second from the left, he had scared eyes; he wasn't gonna do nothin'. But that one on the far left, he had crazy eyes. Figured him to make the first move."
    So, I guess no flap. And don't look really crazy.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    My Colt Navy has a repro military flap holster, but my original Remington SA Belt Pistol, which is a commercial gun, has a standard flapless hand tooled leather one.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    So get this, toay at elk neck i started getting misfires. Bad caps? but looked fine to me; damp powder?, it was raining but i never had weather affect powder before. Finally i had 5 misfires out of 6. Older gentleman who was shooting BP looks at my Colt Navy and says the wedge wasn’t in far enough. It was showing on the right so Im thinking what the wedge got to do with misfiring. He says tap the wedge in a little more. I did. Well i be dammed but all 5 shots fired. Apparently the wedge has to be in tight. Whoda thunk.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Indie had a holster flap, just sayin. He lost his gun but that wasn't the flaps fault.
    IndyHolster-hd.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So get this, toay at elk neck i started getting misfires. Bad caps? but looked fine to me; damp powder?, it was raining but i never had weather affect powder before. Finally i had 5 misfires out of 6. Older gentleman who was shooting BP looks at my Colt Navy and says the wedge wasn’t in far enough. It was showing on the right so Im thinking what the wedge got to do with misfiring. He says tap the wedge in a little more. I did. Well i be dammed but all 5 shots fired. Apparently the wedge has to be in tight. Whoda thunk.

It sounds like the barrel wasn't wedged all the way back, allowing the cylinder to move forward a bit with the hammer fall, softening the blow to the caps.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Cargo pants. Or front pocket on overalls.
    I should have waited before ordering holster. Pistol arrived yesterday. Excellent condition but way smaller than I expected. Fits in front jeans pocket (Duh, pocket pistol?). Anyway for $45 the flap holster will protect it when in car trunk for transporting. Pistol not mine, pic from holster website. Dellsleatherworks.com

Pocket Pistol Holster for 31 cal.  (HLT011)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom