• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    http://www.househandle.com/

I replaced the handle on my Cold Steel Frontier Hawk and on a Merit brand (1950's Sears as I understand it) hatchet I got for $1 at a flea market years ago. I paid $4 each for the tomahawk handles and $3.90 for the hatchet handle. Both went on with minimal rasping and sanding. I put three coats of poly-stain on the tomahawk handle and the hatchet handle came lacquered.

The only downside is that it's a small operation and you have to wait for your stuff to arrive. I think it took a little over two weeks for me. Shipping was about $9 for USPS Priority, so not too bad.

P1010001_zps7a7a750c.jpg

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I was always taught that lacquer is bad for blisters and the longevity of the handle. Linseed oil is the way to go. That will help it develop a nice natural patina and keep the wood moist in the process. Good re handle job. The work looks great.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    get a torch and burn off the lacquer. it'll also leave a nice "weathered" look if you do it right. keep it at distance...just enough to burn it off. then apply the linseed oil. I have a collection of axes that I actually use. two I made from old school axe heads and two I bought (wetterlings). I'm justifying a Gransfors...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I tried burning off the lacquer from the hatchet handle, but it takes so long without charring the wood. I'm just sanding the lacquer off. That stuff is tough and takes a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom