• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I am rehashing an old post, just to give it a more searchable title and to see if there has been any new experiences.

I search the forum using the words I am interested in that appear in the Title of the thread, otherwise I often get a list of threads, each with dozens of posts and somewhere in that mess is the one post I am interested in.

Cutting to the chase, collecting my fired brass at the range, I discovered some IMT 9mm brass. This has an internal step that reduces the volume of the case and may prevent bullet setback.

It was discussed in this thread http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=155913

Edit correctionIt is sold by Freedom Munitions and may instead have the Ammoload headstamp.

I did find another post, in another forum, where the case that came apart was not reloaded but purchased from Freedom. https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-14674.html

Whenever Freedom is mentioned, there are lots of satisfied customers who have shot thousands of rounds. I have purchased only a few hundred rounds and had no problems. There always seems to be one or two people who come up with pictures of incredibly short rounds or other problems.

I did reload this case, but I am going to pull the bullet and dispose of it. Cases shearing in half is not an aggravation I need.

Last edited:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I found some, researched and set them aside, about 50. I'll not miss them but if one were to act funny it would be one to remember so I don't worry about their uniqueness... Sitting on a shelf! I have a pic and a story of FM remans I'll look for later, it's ugly but I still like FM.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I've missed any word on this and it's important info that should be widely known.

I load light for IDPA and wonder if I've loaded any in the past. I won't load any more, that's for sure.

Thanks.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Note correction above, it may be marked Ammoload, not ammoland
    FullSizeRender3_zpsolqrh2fm.jpg
    FullSizeRender2_zpskw9tbb3h.jpg

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Looked into this more this evening. Freedoms response is that the ledge in the case is a by product of the extrusion process during cases forming. The cases are softer than your typical case and there are reports of case separation at the top of the ridge. Hope this helps

Ken

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    That is also why 9x23mm can be loaded hotter than 38 Super even though both cases look the same at first glance. Both are 23mm in length but do have slightly different rim and taper dimensions (you can shoot 9x23 in 38 Super guns but not vice versa). The inside of the 9x23mm case is tapered to be thicker from about mid-point to the base. As a result the case capacity is less so pressure and velocity are higher. Also the taper in Winchester cases prevents to use of bullets longer than 124g. However Starline makes this brass with a slightly less dimension and a lower starting taper so that 147g bullets can be loaded. Starline has made 2 versions of this, one stamped 9mm Comp and the other 9 Super Comp.
    But in this case the benefit could be that they can reach the required velocity with less powder by reducing case capacity. However anyone picking this brass up at the range should note that you want to separate this out of your reload cycle because it would require a different amount of powder. You could end up with too high a pressure.

Swearengen

Nov 13, 2012
    Baltimore Co.
    Ammoland, IMT and FM all have the internal step. I've seen the brass separate at the step leaving the top half of the brass stuck in the chamber but that has been mostly with guys loading 9mm major for open. I'll use it for practice and local matches but not state, section or area matches

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom