• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Happa Haole

Happa Haole
    Nov 23, 2012
    I've never done any reloading but it has always seemed interested to me. Is it an expensive or difficult endeavor to undertake as a novice? Any suggestions for someone looking to get into it?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I've never done any reloading but it has always seemed interested to me. Is it an expensive or difficult endeavor to undertake as a novice? Any suggestions for someone looking to get into it?

It's about like anything else for equipment, you can find stuff on the budget end or lay it all out and get expensive equipment. Biggest problem right now is finding reloading supplies, they can be found but it can be difficult.
    First off I'd start with the book ABC's of reloading, it's a good book and it does explain alot.
    I just started out not long ago and was a little intimidated at first but I have 2 good mentors to help me with the process, Deep Creek Rock and j8064, and that was a plus.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Reloading is not difficult to learn. But it does take dedication. ALL mistakes (and we all make them) must be left on the reloading bench. The range is no place to discover a mistake. :nono:

You can get into reloading with either a reasonable or high end investment in equipment. Even tho both equipment and components are scarce right now, they can be found.

Start with some reading. The ABC's of Reloading is a good beginning. Find a mentor. Most of us are willing to help beginning reloaders.

Good luck.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is not difficult. You can make good ammo on less expensive equipment, it will just take longer per round versus an expensive progressive press.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011

While reloading set up where you don't have any distractions. I find it to be therapeutic.... usually do most of mine in the winter.

Dillon_550B.jpg

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Reloading is basically simple.

Resize case/remove spent primer
    Expand case mouth (for rifle done with the above step, for pistol, may be done separately or as part of adding powder)
    Insert new primer
    Add powder
    Insert bullet
    Optionally Crimp the case to the bullet (maybe a separate step, may be part of the bullet seating)
    Repeat, MANY times. :)

As long as you pay attention to what you are doing, simple, safe and fun.

A single stage press does each operation separately. You Resize and Deprime a number of cases, swap dies and do the next step to all the cases and continue.

A turret press allows you to do all steps to one case, then start with a fresh case. You pull the handle several times for each loaded round, rotating the proper die into position for each step.

A progressive press does all steps at once to a series of cases, so each time you pull the handle, a loaded round pops out. One case is resized/deprimed, another case is primed, another case has powder added, another has bulllet seated, another is being crimped.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I got the bug about two months ago. It took me a month to find the hardware and was only until a week or so ago when I was finally able to get my hands on primers. It cost me about $400 for my press and accessories. I've done a few hundred rounds so far and here's what I've learned during my short time reloading.

1.) Buy a few books and read read read. You'll have plenty of time while you wait for components to become available.
    2.) Take your time setting up and adjusting your dies.
    3.) Practice using the press. To get the feel for everything and how it works I would set up the press and run through each step without charging the case. This allowed me to dial in the settings on the press and become familiar with it's operation without the risk of any mistakes finding their way to the range. Afterwards I pulled the bullets.
    4.) Make sure do calibrate your powder measure using a scale. Each powder will meter differently depending on what kind of powder thrower you're using. I use a Lee Auto Disk with Bullseye powder. The 4.3gr setting only throws 4.1gr.
    4.) Don't make a ton of rounds at first. Make 10 or so of a particular load then try them out. My first batch was too weak to cycle my gun but luckily I only had made a few. I would have been mad if I cranked out 100 or so of them.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Watch the site for a lot of good info. Read and when comfortable attempt you loads. Do small batch and try them out. You gun will tell you if they are right. Trial and error while being safe seems to be the way to learn reloading. I am still learning more each time I load. Supplies and equiptment are difficult to find at this time but I am hopeful that will work it's self out. Try it with someone if you can before you invest a lot into it.
    good luck

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    My brother and I split our first set up. Rock Chucker supreme Kit with some odds and ends, we were loading mostly rifle back then. With all the equipment and consumables it cost over $1000. After 4 years (and some algebra) the setup has more than payed for itself and we treated ourselves to a Hornady Lock-n-load progressive press. It's a GREAT press, but part of me wishes I went with a Dillon XL650

Jackrum

Jun 10, 2009
    Is this starter kit any good? Could I truly start reloading with this kit?

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...etail/Reloading-Kits/prod9999002253/cat100150

That's the kit I've been using with a few modifications (though I got it here). I like this powder measure a lot more than the one that comes with the kit. I don't remember if the kit came with bushings so grabbing a couple of these would be a good idea. You'll also need dies for whatever calibers you're planning to reload. I've used the Lee carbide pistol dies and am a big fan of them.

The press is built pretty solidly and I haven't had any problems with it after doing a little over 1000 rounds. I've only reloaded 9mm so far but have recently purchased pretty much everything I'll need for .45 ACP, .38/.357 and, .223. All of which I'll be doing on this press for now. I plan to upgrade to a progressive at some point but I expect I'll always have my single stage press around.

As others have suggested getting more than 1 reloading book and reading them all is a good idea.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, that kit will work to get started.

I am a big fan of starting with a single stage press. 1) It separates the steps for learning. 2) You can keep using the single stage no matter where you end up. I still have a single stage on my bench, along with the Dillon 650 progressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom