• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Hello veteran reloaders! Novice question. I am using the lee 223 die set which came with the 1.6cc lee dipper. The die set reloading data for a 55g FMJ using Varget has 25.5 starting grains OR use 1.6cc lee dipper. The lee dipper however holds 21.9-22 grains. I have read that the dipper stay modest for safety reason but is that load to light for 223 practice ammo? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Hello veteran reloaders! Novice question. I am using the lee 223 die set which came with the 1.6cc lee dipper. The die set reloading data for a 55g FMJ using Varget has 25.5 starting grains OR use 1.6cc lee dipper. The lee dipper however holds 21.9-22 grains. I have read that the dipper stay modest for safety reason but is that load to light for 223 practice ammo? Thanks for any input.

Go with the published data, you can get into just as many problems with an undercharge as with an overcharge. My dippers are in a ziplock bag and I don't figure I'll ever use them.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Dippers, and the auto disk for that matter are never right, usually have to go up a size or two, but at least the disk is consistent and can be useful. The dipper isn't terribly precice, definitely not good for working up loads, getting consistent charges or a specific charge weight. Get a better power measure. I use my big ones to transfer powder from my drum measures to the scale when dialing it in, smaller ones work as shotgun chamber flags

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It's the norm rather than the exception with dippers to differ in the charge weight they're "supposed" to deliver vs. what they actually do. Powder Rotors are the same way. What they're attempting to do with either is to cross volume measures and have them translate to a specific weight. That's a very inexact crossover oftentimes in actual practice.

Remember, your scale is where the rubber meets the road, and your manual's published data is your very best guide. Follow both precisely. With small volume, and for precise loading generally for precision loading and such, a powder trickler can help. If you don't have one, I'd recommend one. Good luck!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IMO, the dippers are rated low, to prevent a high charge if someone is using them without a scale.

Scale weight trumps dipper.

BUT, it might be a good idea to check your scale. Make sure a 55 grain bullet reads as 55 grains.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

That is the published recommendations in the Lee Manual, Modern Reloading Second Edition, the dipper they supply is chosen to work with a number of different powders and while not necessarily the best load it should be safe. If you don't have a scale according to the data in the Lee manual you could also safely use their 1.9 cc dipper which should give you a 26.0 grain charge of Varget which is below the 27.5 grain Never Exceed load. Always work up loads carefully and watch for pressure signs. When using dippers make sure your method is consistent and throws consistent charge weights.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    They are volumetric powder measures, field expedient version would be to cut down an empty casing to the length needed to throw he charge you want? Dip, weight, trim down casing more if too heavy, rinse repeat until weight you are looking for.

Really though just get a powder measure. The lee auto-drum is inexpensive enough. But it does leak out with some flake powders.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Thanks for replies guys. I have lee powder measure and the beam scale to verify. Im not having problems measure or throwing consistent loads. Was curious as to why Lee suggests using there dipper at a lower load rating than other manuals. On the lee chart each powder for the dipper is actually correct. Varget 21.9 with 1.6cc dipper and with another powder i have rl-15 22.7 with 1.6cc dipper. The dippers are matching the powder loads perfectly and i can dial in powder measure to throw this volume consistently. I just could not find any tolerances for lighter than usual load other than the 10% rule. If lee's dipper chart falls under "published data" than as long as the dipper throws the grains suggested by chart i should be gtg right? Not going for super accurate just want to load a ton of plinking rounds. Will definitely use precise metered grains in accordance with load data for precision shooting.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    That is the published recommendations in the Lee Manual, Modern Reloading Second Edition, the dipper they supply is chosen to work with a number of different powders and while not necessarily the best load it should be safe. If you don't have a scale according to the data in the Lee manual you could also safely use their 1.9 cc dipper which should give you a 26.0 grain charge of Varget which is below the 27.5 grain Never Exceed load. Always work up loads carefully and watch for pressure signs. When using dippers make sure your method is consistent and throws consistent charge weights.

While i appreciate everyones input greatly, this cleared up everything! Thanks guys. You are an invaluable resource.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    In reply to how im using them; i set the powder measure to what looks like 1.6cc (lees entry level stuff are not the best detailed), then put dipper under measure and drop charge, gauge if i need to increase or decrease based on volume in dipper and when dipper is full and flush, i drop onto scale to verify weight. When correct, i charge my cases with the powder measure and then check charge every ten rounds for consistency. So far very consistent. Basically i used dipper to set powder measure with some loaded via dipper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom