IWL Members; What's with he political emails? (From National not the Chapter)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living

Save Our Streams and Wetlands! Tell Congress to Pass the Clean Water Act of 2023

John, in May of this year, the U.S. Supreme Court significantly weakened the reach of the Clean Water Act. Under this misguided decision, most wetlands and many streams are no longer protected by the Act and are now vulnerable to drainage and pollution.
    Thankfully, H.R. 5983, the Clean Water Act of 2023, was introduced on October 18. This bill would undo much of the damage caused by the Court. Please urge your member of Congress to support this critical legislation!
    The Clean Water Act of 2023 clarifies that wetlands and streams are protected water resources and reaffirms our nation’s commitment to safeguarding water quality. Send a message to your representative today!

Reply;

Jared,

You have been misinformed. Your mischaracterization of the SCOTUS decision make you, and our organization appear ignorant of the law and civics, and jeopardizes the appearance of our non-partisan advocacy.

I would feel better served if you pointed out which aspects of H.R. 5983, the Clean Water Act of 2023, specifically, would safeguard water quality as well as be less burdensome to landowners like the IWL and it's chapters.

This is the second such political message I've received, I'd appreciate it if your words were chosen more carefully.

Thank you,

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Not a member of IWL but just curious bystander because of your post...Did your reply go to all the folks that received the offending e-mail?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    IWLA is a conservation organization. Conservation is their purpose for being. Their mission statement.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    IWLA is a conservation organization. Conservation is their purpose for being. Their mission statement.
    Of course it is, I agree with it. Perhaps I'd be persuaded to support H.R. 5983, the Clean Water Act of 2023, if I were convinced it would safeguard water quality as well as be less burdensome to landowners.

Not SCOTUS hysteria!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Of course it is, I agree with it. Perhaps I'd be persuaded to support H.R. 5983, the Clean Water Act of 2023, if I were convinced it would safeguard water quality as well as be less burdensome to landowners.

Not SCOTUS hysteria!
    Just as with the NRA, not everything the IWLA promotes is necessarily agreeable to me.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Yea, the BCC chapter has two factions. The gun lovers and the gun haters. As long as the rifle/pistol range and shotgun range remain viable and the land remains open for deer season it’s just a fact of life there will be haters.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As noted , IWL is a Conservation Org , with emphasis on water and fish . Some chapters also have shooting ranges .

They're a Conservation Club , with minor sideline of shooting , kind of the flip side of various Rod & Gun Clubs , that are Gun Clubs , with minor sideline of conservation .

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    As noted , IWL is a Conservation Org , with emphasis on water and fish . Some chapters also have shooting ranges .

They're a Conservation Club , with minor sideline of shooting , kind of the flip side of various Rod & Gun Clubs , that are Gun Clubs , with minor sideline of conservation .
    There is no issue with that. My beef is with them thinking they are cool by needlessly besmirching the SCOTUS.
    I'm a IWLA, haven't seen nor gotten that email.
    I'm new so they have my updated email. :)

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    A return to Conservation and sanity?

We will see....

"It's a new year and we are ready to go. In 2024, the Izaak Walton League will continue building on our momentum and leveraging our strengths. We'll expand our network of partners and engage volunteers across the country in on-the-ground advocacy to protect our environment.

League chapters will host events that offer opportunities for people from all backgrounds to enjoy outdoor recreation. And Ikes and Americans everywhere will celebrate conservation victories and build on the progress we've made cleaning up our air and water, restoring fish and wildlife and protecting special places.

As we begin this new year, thanks for being part of our conservation community.

-Janette Rosenbaum"

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A return to Conservation and sanity?

We will see....

"It's a new year and we are ready to go. In 2024, the Izaak Walton League will continue building on our momentum and leveraging our strengths. We'll expand our network of partners and engage volunteers across the country in on-the-ground advocacy to protect our environment.

League chapters will host events that offer opportunities for people from all backgrounds to enjoy outdoor recreation. And Ikes and Americans everywhere will celebrate conservation victories and build on the progress we've made cleaning up our air and water, restoring fish and wildlife and protecting special places.

As we begin this new year, thanks for being part of our conservation community.

-Janette Rosenbaum"

****There has been a pretty big drive at our chapter for more conservation type work and out reach. The chapter I belong to is in MoCo so we have to be especially cognizant of maintaining our 501c designation and outreach and conservation activities no question have helped keep us from drawing the ire of many local politicians who mistakenly consider us a “gun club”.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    ****There has been a pretty big drive at our chapter for more conservation type work and out reach. The chapter I belong to is in MoCo so we have to be especially cognizant of maintaining our 501c designation and outreach and conservation activities no question have helped keep us from drawing the ire of many local politicians who mistakenly consider us a “gun club”.
    It's that conflation of "conservation" and "conservative" that triggers the MoCo Pavlovian response.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I've been a member of IWLA Rockville and Mt. Airy for about 15 years. Mt. A was originally a gun club that became affiliated with IWLA a few decades ago. More members are shotgunners or rifle/pistoleros (the two main "factions") though there are many archers as well. We have a solid stream monitoring program, but most activities revolve around firearms.

Rockville is more diverse, with more activities than just firearms. Pistol is the main firearms activity. The rifle range is underwhelming, trap went away, and there never was skeet. Rockville archery is better than Mt. A, but I am not a real good judge of such things.

Visit, everyone is free to reach out to me for a tour and intros.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I didn’t think 501c3 organizations could advocate for or against legislation. Pretty sure you can lose your tax exempt status doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom