• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Went by a month or 2 ago and sign said "closed for inventory"
    Drove by a few weeks ago and it looked like no cars there,,
    Stopped by today, closed with no sign saying why,, looked very empty inside.

Anyone know what is up? I thought I heard that John was not doing well healthwise??

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    John Mountjoy passed on November 14th, the visitation service was yesterday evening @ Brinsfield.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Went by a month or 2 ago and sign said "closed for inventory"
    Drove by a few weeks ago and it looked like no cars there,,
    Stopped by today, closed with no sign saying why,, looked very empty inside.

Anyone know what is up? I thought I heard that John was not doing well healthwise??

With profound sadness and cherished memories, we announce the passing of John William Mountjoy, Jr., age 63, who passed away on November 14, 2023. John’s final days were spent surrounded by his loving family at his Hollywood, MD home, showcasing the same courage that was an inspiration to other cancer patients whom he met over the course of his battle with cancer.

Born in the San Francisco Bay Area on July 5, 1960, to the late John William Mountjoy, Sr. and Florence Virginnia Graves, John’s life was one of dedication, love, and service. John is survived by his wife, Jennifer, whom he married in 1987, and their children: Melinda, John (Jayo), and Meredith. He is also survived by his sister, Jill, his mother-in-law, Mary Lou Williamson and extended family and friends.

John was a proud alumnus of DeAnza High School and the University of California at Davis, where he earned degrees in both Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. His commitment to serving his country led him to Officer Candidate School and a distinguished 39-year career with the Department of Defense at NAVAIR, culminating in his retirement earlier this year. He is also the owner of J2 Firearms in Prince Frederick, MD where, along with his beloved dog, Guano, his vibrant personality, sense of humor, and warm smile created a welcoming atmosphere and community for all who visited.

Beyond his professional accomplishments, he was a lifelong learner and history buff who could easily cite obscure facts about a specific Civil War battle or engineering achievements of the Roman Empire. Additionally, John was a gregarious, dedicated patriot who loved nothing more than teaching and helping his community. He taught marksmanship and firearm safety classes over the course of many years and was a fierce advocate for Second Amendment rights.

A gathering to celebrate John’s life will be held on Thursday, December 7, 2023 with visitation from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. Deacon Mark Kijesky will lead prayers at 6:00 p.m. in honor of John’s enduring spirit, at Brinsfield Funeral Home, 22955 Hollywood Road, Leonardtown, MD 20650.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorial contributions be made to Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) and St. Mary’s Adult Medical Day Care, causes close to John’s heart (links below).

Maryland Shall Issue (MSI): https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/index.php

St. Mary’s Adult Medical Day Care: https://stmarysamdc.com

Condolences to the family may be made at www.brinsfieldfuneral.com.

Arrangements by the Brinsfield Funeral Home, P.A., Leonardtown, MD.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for posting the info up.
    Hate to see this,, John was always upbeat and helpful when the wife and I stopped in.
    John showed me around the up and coming range a year or so ago, he was realy excited about it.

Sad loss for the 2A community

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info,,
    Does johns wife plan to carry on the business and or the range.
    It is my understanding that John's wife Jennifer plans to keep the shop open. I do not have 1st hand knowledge but this is what I have been told my multiple individuals.

John was a great man and will be missed by so many that his life touched.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    J2 is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 11am till 2pm. Jennifer (John's wife) is trying to get the business squared away and plans to keep it open, but there are still issues with having the personnel available to keep it open during those hours. Consequently, I would suggest that you call before making the trip just to ensure that they have someone there. They do have a large inventory of firearms but not all are being put out, so if you go in looking for a specific gun, ask the salesperson...there is a chance they may have what you are looking for but may not have it out.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Sorry to hear this.

Years ago, my sons and I were at Sanners Lake, and John had the first Henry .22 we had ever seen in person. They were both staring at it, and John told them the could shoot it, but ONLY if they wore the cowboy hat he had on the table. Plus he let them shoot his race .22.

He had some smallbore silhouette targets out, and they had a blast. Then he pointed out the " bonus" target at 100m. It was a ram, but not the smallbore ram, full size.

They were getting hits, but it just wouldn't go down. John kept a straight face, and kept encouraging them to " hit it better" lol.

Now, we all have Henry's and STILL laugh about it.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I
    J2 is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 11am till 2pm. Jennifer (John's wife) is trying to get the business squared away and plans to keep it open, but there are still issues with having the personnel available to keep it open during those hours. Consequently, I would suggest that you call before making the trip just to ensure that they have someone there. They do have a large inventory of firearms but not all are being put out, so if you go in looking for a specific gun, ask the salesperson...there is a chance they may have what you are looking for but may not have it out.
    i could use a part time job. I would even work for store credit until things settel down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom