• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I would carry a 9 mm with 124 +p Golddot when walking through the streets of SoHo in the rain.
    With…Ah-hoo, Werewolves of London then you may want to consider

656A47CE-A753-4F98-8BFE-A31220A8168C.jpeg

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Depends on the bullet design. For most traditional hollowpoints, 9 will perform best with either 124+p or 147 grain. I personally prefer the 147 grain loads for having more of a push to recoil and not having the loud rapport or snap that the +p has. Heavy for caliber are longer, so they have the potential to open up wider and are efficient in short barrels due to inertia. Heavy loads tend to have more momentum, although they may have less energy than lighter/faster loads. I like loads with more momentum in general for handguns due to less deflection and the potential for more reliable performance across different barriers/media.

It changes for monolithic copper projectiles. For something like dpx, 115 grain performs similar to the 124+p or 147 grain in traditional hollowpoints, but tends to expand more reliably while also penetrating deep. Opening like a starfish allows the petals to each crush a wide channel on the sides, while allowing material to flow bewteen the petals for reduced drag over a mushroom design.

In .40, it could be either 165gr or 180 gr depending on the exact loading. Some 165 gr loads have both more energy and momentum over the 180 and other loads will favor the 180 gr due to an increase in momentum over their 165 gr counterparts. I'm intentionally differentiating between energy and momentum as they are two different things and have different effects on terminal ballistics.
    /thread

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    With all three of those being shorter barreled compacts, I would shoot 115grain for the 9, and 165grain for the 40. But every gun and shooter is different, best thing to do is practice and experiment with them all at the range and find out what you, and the gun each like best.
    Why not just get a 120 or so grain frangible round for the 40s&w like sinterfire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom