• Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Registration opens on: May 20, 2023 @ 9:00 AM
    Registration closes on: June 10, 2023 @ 10:00 PM

Match starts: June 11, 2023 @ 8:00 AM · Match ends: June 11, 2023 @ 2:00 PM

Match Information:
    The Mayberry Game Protective Association (MGPA) will be holding a Precision Rimfire Rifle Match on Sunday, June 11, 2023. The match will be a friendly match that will provide both new and experienced shooters with a challenge. All levels of experience are welcome to come.

Shooters wishing to participate in the Modern America Rimfire Series (MARS) points series must be a member of MARS. Memberships are available at the MARS website: https://modernamericanrimfireseries.com

Address: 2555 Mayberry Rd, Westminster, Maryland 21158
    *If your navigation can't locate the address, use "Mayberry Archers" as your keyword.

Date: Sunday, June 11, 2023

Time:
    -Check-in: 0800
    -Match Start: 0900
    Cost: $20/Adult, $10/Minor (Cash Only - To be paid on match day)

Specifics:
    -.22LR only (No other rimfire/centerfire cartridge will be permitted)
    -Round count: bring 100+
    -No redo’s… If you screw up, say you understand the COF and don't shoot it correctly, or shoot someone else’s target, learn from it.
    -Don't leave the line without verifying your score - There will be no adjustments after you leave the line.
    -Eye/Ear protection required
    -Empty Chamber Indicator required
    -Know your DOPE from 25 - 300 yards.

-For complete rules, visit: https://modernamericanrimfireseries.com/rulebook/
    -All official match communication will be done through PractiScore, so please make sure you are able to receive emails from PractiScore.

Recommended Equipment:
    - .22LR rifle with a removable magazine
    - Scope that can be easily dialed or held over for elevations.
    - Spare magazine(s)
    - Shooting bags, bipods, tripods, back pack, sling. Bring what you have. Several of us will also have equipment you may try.

***If you are new to precision rifle competitions, please email us for more details at kenneth.yoshida@outlook.com

Dmorgan4570

May 24, 2023
    Fairfield Pennsylvania
    Email the MD and let him know you are new to the game. The shooters are going to welcome you with open arms. Great people.
    Awesome if I can’t make the 11th I’ll definitely make the one after I’ve been gathering as much info as possible via YouTube and the net I’ve just had back surgery and looks like this will be the perfect thing for a new pastime

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Awesome if I can’t make the 11th I’ll definitely make the one after I’ve been gathering as much info as possible via YouTube and the net I’ve just had back surgery and looks like this will be the perfect thing for a new pastime
    You will meet great people. I'd suggest that you shoot it rather than just watch. Have fun and don't DQ.

Dmorgan4570

May 24, 2023
    Fairfield Pennsylvania
    I’d love to shoot it I need to get a rifle set up for it first I have quite a few old Winchesters with target peeps that I shoot competitively now but thinking a cz 457 scoped for these shoots but I’d like to see what other people shoot and how they have them set up

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ve done a few of these at Mayberry they are great fun, and if you are new to any shooting match format, this is absolutely a great way to start. Everyone there was super helpful.

Here is my favorite memory from one of the matches. The stage was to split a playing card in half. You had 5 shots standing braced against a ladder from 25 yds.

So close…. Two hits, but didn’t split.

1976aaa3e1ab70c17f1e6f9d2fc418b6.jpg

IIRC maybe 10 competitors actually did split the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmorgan4570

May 24, 2023
    Fairfield Pennsylvania
    I’ve done a few of these at Mayberry they are great fun, and if you are new to any shooting match format, this is absolutely a great way to start. Everyone there was super helpful.

Here is my favorite memory from one of the matches. The stage was to split a playing card in half. You had 5 shots standing braced against a ladder from 25 yds.

So close…. Two hits, but didn’t split.

1976aaa3e1ab70c17f1e6f9d2fc418b6.jpg

IIRC maybe 10 competitors actually did split the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow! Definitely I need to try this

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    It's fun the COF is always challenging and fun. Great group of guys. I'm going to try to make this one. It's been tough the past couple of years with family obligations. I can't decide if I want to go bolt or semi. Semi definitely has some advantages depending on the course. When I started I was using a CZ 455 then I switched to my 10/22 and did much better, that's about the time they came up with two classes of rifle. The spinner is very challenging with a bolt unless you are super fast. Not having to change your sight picture helps a lot.

Know your dope! You will be shooting from 25yds to 300yds. Find a brand of ammo you like and get enough to get your dope dialed in and enough for the match. Having one lot of quality ammo is paramount.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Most of the rifles I've seen there are really nice. $2K plus. You don't have to spend that much but you will need a decent scope with adjustable turrets that track correctly. FFP scopes help when you have to transition from 200-300yds and back. It really depends on the course of fire so the first time you will learn a ton and figure out what you need. Yoshi listed minimums that you will need, but I will reiterate. Semi/bolt rifle with detachable magazine is a must, scope mentioned above with at least 16X power IMO. I run a 5-25X PST Gen2. Bags and mats are optional but you'll probably want your own.

The most important thing is your dope. You will need to know that at 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, and 300yds and probably some in between. I usually go to the range the weekend before to sight in and verify dope. I have settled on my ammo but I bought originally about 10 brands of high end stuff to try before I settled, that was a whole range day in and of itself. I'd bring what you have and see if it's for you before you invest any coin on gear. I'd recommend CCI Green tag as a lower costing decent ammo but that is subjective. I prefer subsonic ammo but a lot of guys like Eley Force ammo.

Dmorgan4570

May 24, 2023
    Fairfield Pennsylvania
    I’ve been looking at the cz 457 mtr and thinking about an Athens optic…. Soon as I’m healed up from this back surgery I plan on getting things rolling
    I’ve had good luck with ely match ammo
    Out of my Winchester 52 and anschuzt 54
    Super match but they are peep sighted but shoot 1/2” and under at 50yards with that ammunition

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I was trying to find an old COF so you could see what it's like. Some of the stages involve moving around or shooting supported from an odd structure. Which ever rifle you choose make sure you don't mind getting in dinged or dirty. I sold my Win 52B about 7 years ago, it was a nice shooter.

Dmorgan4570

May 24, 2023
    Fairfield Pennsylvania
    Definitely love my 52
    I’ve been seeing the stuff on YouTube definitely the guns get dinged and dirty I’m cool with that lol I think I spend more time cleaning than shooting ‍♂️
    I’m in the process of getting a shop opened up in the next 1or 2 years for gunsmithing and firearm sales
    God willing this all works out lord knows I’m putting in my time learning hands on and school work

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom