• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    Hey guys, I'm getting ready to get some new production (2018 7.62x51) Lake City Brass, already primed...they were pulls...what would be the best way to clean them and get rid of any residual powder that might still be inside the cases or any possible neck sealant leftover?

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I think the "I wouldn't" was in response to tumbling primed brass. I've shoot a few thousand pulled down cartridges without issues. Brush the inside to get any remaining powder and reload.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I'm thinking the likely reason for pulling was for a powder problem or maybe a bullet depth problem. Jerry M is correct. I would not tumble. You risk causing more problems that you would solve in the form of blocked or impacted flash holes or even corrupted primers. Of course I'm being over cautious. I'm with SKIP and Park ranger, a tap on the bench and a pass with a bore brush and call it a day. Load a couple and shoot them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm thinking the likely reason for pulling was for a powder problem or maybe a bullet depth problem. Jerry M is correct. I would not tumble. You risk causing more problems that you would solve in the form of blocked or impacted flash holes or even corrupted primers. Of course I'm being over cautious. I'm with SKIP and Park ranger, a tap on the bench and a pass with a bore brush and call it a day. Load a couple and shoot them.
    This is the way.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    ^^^^
    This!
    Don't clean primed brass in any sort of tumbler. Military brass uses an asphaltic sealer on the bullets (unless they've changed it since I was using it). Any sort of petroleum product will kill the primer if it gets to it. Perhaps neck sizing and seating a new bullet and tumble after shooting and decapping. Wet tumbling with pins will remove the asphalt sealer.

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    Thanks fellas, they just got delivered on Friday, haven't had a chance to grab them yet...I agree with you guys, just gonna tap them and maybe some compressed air, then brush inside...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom