• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    That's if you're close to DE. For me, the sales tax wouldn't approach the gas price of doing that. Hanover, though, is within reach.

Make a day of it. Shop X-Ring Supply and Cabela,s for powder, standard capacity magazines, guns (long guns are NICS check and take them with you) and then tour the original Dupont Powder works on the Brandywine River and learn about making Black Powder. Lots to see and do in sales tax free Delaware makes a nice day trip for the family.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Make a day of it. Shop X-Ring Supply and Cabela,s for powder, standard capacity magazines, guns (long guns are NICS check and take them with you) and then tour the original Dupont Powder works on the Brandywine River and learn about making Black Powder. Lots to see and do in sales tax free Delaware makes a nice day trip for the family.

I get what you're saying and I appreciate it. It is just impractical for me in my situation. The wife would absolutely loathe driving that far to look around in gun related venues. It's just easier to jump the line to Hanover and pay the tax than drive to DE.

Maybe with time that'll change. The wife had fun shooting a 10/22, but that's about as far into the gun world I've managed to bring her, thus far. It's been a bit of a trip to get her to that point.

Where do you get powder in Hanover?

"We Sell Sporting Goods". It's a great shop and usually have all sorts of powders in stock and the guys that run it are friendly and will happily answer your questions, should you have them. It has fishing and hunting gear there, too.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Cabela's is right by Christiana Mall. FUll mall, no sales tax.

2) To or from, you can drop her or stop at Perryville Outlet Mall

Between these two, she will BEG you take here along.

:D

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    There is plenty for the ladies at Hagley Museum and Library (Dupont Powder Works):
    http://www.hagley.org/

And if that is not enough there is Winterthur Museum and Gardens:
    http://www.winterthur.org/

And other tourist destinations in the area.

As Pinecone mentioned Cabela's is in the Christiania Mall complex. Point out to the wife she can shop the stores she likes while you go to Cabela'sit it is tax free shopping and here is the directory:
    http://www.christianamall.com/en/directory.html

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    1) Cabela's is right by Christiana Mall. FUll mall, no sales tax.

2) To or from, you can drop her or stop at Perryville Outlet Mall

Between these two, she will BEG you take here along.

:D

She's one of those weird women that hate shopping. Totally uninterested in it outside of need.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Thinking outside the box here, would a trust allow you to buy more powder? There would still be the storage limit, but it would not longer be a "person" possessing it?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I did this research when I started reloading. Here's what I determined for myself.

1. The 5 pound limit is for residential storage without a license and a magazine. Buy a magazine, get a license and you can increase the limits.

2. There's a difference between what you can get away with and what's legal. I prefer to discuss what's legal. If we begin discussing what we can get away with we enter the gray area between legal discourse and how to circumvent the law. That's not the forum I signed up for.

3. The fire code is meant to protect my neighbors' property from being damaged due to my careless handling of powder. The limit is per residence, not per person in the residence. Stuffing 150 family and friends into my house does not make it safer to store 750 LBS of powder than if I lived alone.

4. The regulation is per residence, with no storage allowed in multi unit residences. The fire code defines a multi residence unit as more than 2 families. That means a duplex is OK (important for a few of my brothers).

5. Once the powder is loaded into cartridges they do not count towards the limit. If you purchase powder in excess of 5 pounds you are out of compliance until you load the excess powder into cartridge cases. It doesn't matter where you purchased it, who recorded it, or who reports it to ATFP, NFPA, Fire Marshall, or Daffy Duck. See point 2 for clarification.

6. In all the discussion of what's legal and what's not, nobody has asked the obvious question: what is the largest cartridge that can be reloaded in a residence? If I get 5 mortar shell and load them each with 3 pounds of powder, theoretically I no longer have that powder on hand counting against my limit. Of course that probably means I have to purchase a mortar, and find a range to fire them. You think Aberdeen has a public range that I can borrow? :) (If you think I'm serious, please reread point 2 above)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    3. No, it is to protect the fire fighters when they respond to your house on fire. Otherwise the limit would be based on distance other residences. My neighbor is over 100 feet away, big difference in threat to his house than if I lived in a row house.

4. No, the law states per person.

6. Sure you can, but there is a group that you will have to deal with, called BATFE. You would have a destructive device and unless you had paid your $200 tax stamp and had it approved for EACH shell, you would be violating Federal law.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    3. No, it is to protect the fire fighters when they respond to your house on fire. Otherwise the limit would be based on distance other residences. My neighbor is over 100 feet away, big difference in threat to his house than if I lived in a row house.

4. No, the law states per person.

6. Sure you can, but there is a group that you will have to deal with, called BATFE. You would have a destructive device and unless you had paid your $200 tax stamp and had it approved for EACH shell, you would be violating Federal law.

1. Sounds reasonable.

2. Just re-read the regulation. The law is structured to first blanket ban all storage of powder without a license and then carve out exceptions. I agree with your assessment that the exception language states a PERSON can store no more than 5 pounds smokeless for personal use in firearms. However, the term person ( IMHO) is used consistently throughout the entire section to refer to a licensee. We can disagree and still remain friends. No?

3. I was joking. I guess joking in the context of the potential for people to go to prison was poor form. My bad.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have not heard of anyone getting a visit from the fire marshal about quantity of powder. So I doubt if it has ever been tested.

Not that it is a huge deal, unless you have 10 - 15 people living in your house. :)

More smiley's next time. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom