• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Benchmade 9051SKBOD - AFOII

I have always wanted an auto. Not sure exactly why as I'd never carry it - at least in this screwed up state. But they've always infatuated me, and maybe some of the infatuation is that .gov would rather you didn't own it. Screw them cuz they're legal to own! I have one now.

I'm sure I could've chosen a more elegant knife as a first auto but just something about a rugged, beautifully constructed (US made) auto made for real use appealed to me. I chose the Benchmade 9051 AFOII. Mine has the limited edition OD aluminum handles with a black, partially serrated blade.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361639474.475617.jpg

Benchmade Specifications:
    Overall Length: 8.51"
    Blade Length: 3.56"
    Blade Thickness: 0.125"
    Blade Material: 154CM
    Blade Hardness: 58-60
    Blade Style: Utility
    Closed Length: 4.95"
    Handle Thickness: 0.60"
    Weight: 5.80 oz.
    Clip: Black, Removable, Fully Reversible
    Lock Mechanism: Push Button Automatic
    Sheath Material: Ballistic Nylon with Malice Clip

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361639566.097242.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361639576.214890.jpg

I'm very impressed with the initial quality of this knife. Beautifully made, opens smartly, and frightfully sharp. I doubt it will see a lot of real use, but it's another knife I can cross off the wanted list. But I suspect that I'll want more now.

But for the life of me I don't understand how autos, this one at least, are classified as deadly weapons (and handguns are not). My Kershaw Funxion spring assist opens faster - and is easier to close with one hand. In any case this Benchmade is wonderful.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Nice! I recently got an evil black automatic military-style assault knife made by Benchmade off the streets(and into my collection), 2750 Adamas.....

Attachments

• IMG_1092.JPG
      IMG_1092.JPG
      68.3 KB · Views: 381
    • IMG_1091.JPG
      IMG_1091.JPG
      56.8 KB · Views: 381

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Nice! I recently got an evil black automatic military-style assault knife made by Benchmade off the streets(and into my collection), 2750 Adamas.....

How fast is the deployment? I was considering a Benchmade 5000 Auto Axis but when I tried several of them out at the store, they were really sluggish, probably due to the weak spring and thick heavy blade. That's why I've shied away from full size auto axis models.

I have a mini auto presidio that flies out fast but the blade is a lot smaller.

To me if an auto doesn't fire nice and hard it kinda defeats the purpose of having one.

sfchoffman

Full Battle Rattle
    Feb 18, 2013
    I was under the impression that auto's were Illegal to own in MD. Funny how they made so many things Illegal to own that you could use to defend yourself with....Pepper spray, Handgun, Taser, Auto Knife, did I leave anything out ? Boomerang ?

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I was under the impression that auto's were Illegal to own in MD. Funny how they made so many things Illegal to own that you could use to defend yourself with....Pepper spray, Handgun, Taser, Auto Knife, did I leave anything out ? Boomerang ?

PEZ dispensers. They can be extremely dangerous.

Auto's are legal to own in MD. Just not legal to sell, barter, trade, or carry concealed - or openly carried if you have the intent of harming someone (this one is really my favorite). I'm sure there's some other BS as well but they are legal to own in MD.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    That is a beautiful knife! Benchmade makes great automatics...the AFO is a classic and one of my favorites. I'd argue they revived high quality automatics starting when the old 'switchblade' was seen as a cheap 20 dollar knife that broke and that only gangsters carried. They were really the first to develop a unique variation of the plunge lock that was strong, then moving to the auto-AXIS and unique openers such as the Benchmite 3100 and then taking on the dreaded OTF and being the first to make one that was reliable, available in reasonable quantity, and had customer support. I wish they would get rid of the stupid switchblade laws...it follows in the path of gun laws that have no real grounding in reality :(

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    That is a beautiful knife! Benchmade makes great automatics...the AFO is a classic and one of my favorites. I'd argue they revived high quality automatics starting when the old 'switchblade' was seen as a cheap 20 dollar knife that broke and that only gangsters carried. They were really the first to develop a unique variation of the plunge lock that was strong, then moving to the auto-AXIS and unique openers such as the Benchmite 3100 and then taking on the dreaded OTF and being the first to make one that was reliable, available in reasonable quantity, and had customer support. I wish they would get rid of the stupid switchblade laws...it follows in the path of gun laws that have no real grounding in reality :(

Thanks. It is pretty impressive. I don't see much hope of the law that made switch blades illegal (passed in 1958, I believe) being rescinded any time soon. In fact I'm actually a bit surprised that spring-assist knives haven't been added to the list of "deadly weapons." I know, I know, I should probably stop typing before I give someone any bright ideas. But, frankly any spring assist opens just as fast as an auto and the several spring assist knives I have are also easier to close with one hand. The spring tension in the Benchmade AFO doesn't lend itself to easily close one handed - and I think it's important to be able to to perform many cutting jobs with one hand.

In my opinion the easiest folding knife to use with one hand is a balisong. My Bradley Mayhem is FAR easier to open and close with one hand than either an auto or spring assist.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks. It is pretty impressive. I don't see much hope of the law that made switch blades illegal (passed in 1958, I believe) being rescinded any time soon. In fact I'm actually a bit surprised that spring-assist knives haven't been added to the list of "deadly weapons." I know, I know, I should probably stop typing before I give someone any bright ideas. But, frankly any spring assist opens just as fast as an auto and the several spring assist knives I have are also easier to close with one hand. The spring tension in the Benchmade AFO doesn't lend itself to easily close one handed - and I think it's important to be able to to perform many cutting jobs with one hand.

In my opinion the easiest folding knife to use with one hand is a balisong. My Bradley Mayhem is FAR easier to open and close with one hand than either an auto or spring assist.

The whole Switchblade Act is beyond ambiguous though and a half a century behind the times...I mean, an Axis folder could count as a 'gravity knife'. Virtually any folder can since the Spyderco Worker was released. And the law is so old that it says someone with one arm can own a switchblade...yet closing an Axis folder, or even a liner lock is 10x easier than closing a plunge lock with one hand...the only way I can close a plunge auto is by pressing the button, placing the spine of the blade on my pants, and using my leg to sandwich the blade-handle until it closes. When I am carrying a Sebenza, it's 100% open and close with one hand. And in Maryland, something like a Victorinox slipjoint with a 1.5 inch blade can theoretically constitute a 'deadly weapon'...I've never heard of that happening, but to my understanding it is possible which makes choosing a good EDC that much more frustrating.

I really like balis...and the Mayhem is about as nice as it gets. Do you ever carry it? I could see it being great for utility, especially with the Mahem's blade geometry, but visually intimidating to people who arent knife users.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I really like balis...and the Mayhem is about as nice as it gets. Do you ever carry it? I could see it being great for utility, especially with the Mahem's blade geometry, but visually intimidating to people who arent knife users.

I'm using the Mayhem as my EDC. IMHO it's just about perfect. The titanium handles make it pretty light and comfortable to carry, Benchmade's spring latch works great with one hand, and the blade is awesome.

No cardboard box is safe when the Mayhem's around! :cool:

Yeah, the first time it flips open people's eyes get wide. But then they wanna see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom