• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    Pardon my ignorance, but the part where I'm missing info/confused is after joining IDPA, through IDPA's site, from what I understand the matches are held at local gun clubs that are affiliated with IDPA? So that means that on top of paying to join IDPA you also have to become a member of a gun club? Or can you just show up for the IDPA matches, without being a gun club member? Again, I may be way out in left field here, but I'm extremely interested and want to start shooting IDPA asap!

I'm located in Westminster (Carroll County). Any info/recommendations regarding my above confusion would be greatly appreciated!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Pardon my ignorance, but the part where I'm missing info/confused is after joining IDPA, through IDPA's site, from what I understand the matches are held at local gun clubs that are affiliated with IDPA? So that means that on top of paying to join IDPA you also have to become a member of a gun club? Or can you just show up for the IDPA matches, without being a gun club member? Again, I may be way out in left field here, but I'm extremely interested and want to start shooting IDPA asap!

I'm located in Westminster (Carroll County). Any info/recommendations regarding my above confusion would be greatly appreciated!

From what I understand is that you just join IDPA. Basically IDPA is renting the range from that club for the day.

jbollman

MDCreeper
    Jul 9, 2009
    Some clubs offer a discount if you are a member of the hosting club, but I don't think I have seen any that made you join anything other idpa

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia

I have yet to find a club that required you to be a club member to shoot any of their matches. You don't even need to be an IDPA member to shoot your first match. The best way to get involved is really to come out and shoot. Its a little daunting at first but if you take your time and be safe and listen to instructions it will quickly become something you want to keep doing.

Mike

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    mikec said:
    From what I understand is that you just join IDPA. Basically IDPA is renting the range from that club for the day.

Makes sense. Thanks a bunch! This was the missing piece holding me back from coming out to a match.

I assume IDPA's website has links to where/when the matches are? ...or is that even on the forum? (if you can't tell I'm new to the forum)

:)

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    I've only seen 1 range that required all competitors be a member of the range. That range offered "1 day memberships". That range didn't host the matches, a seperate "IDPA club" did the matches, and basically rented the range facilities for the day. Fortunately, the "IDPA club" paid for the 1 day membership for anyone who wasn't a range member, so your match fee was the same, range member or not. I know several clubs (including my "home" club) that charge club members one price and the general public another price.

The IDPA website does list basic information about member clubs. Most have their match date listed, as least something like "3rd Saturday" or "Last Sunday".

www.nepaidpascores.net is a great resource for Pennsylvania IDPA matches, and a little more. I've never looked close enough to see if there are any MD clubs listed there or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom