• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Anyone have one that they would be willing to lend? The tools are hard to come by and expensive.

Thanks,
    Jim

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    A drift/punch works fine as well. Take the sight out left to right (direction of ejection port), tap in the new one right to left. If it's not going anywhere, take a very little bit of material off the bottom of the sight with a fine file or sandpaper and try again.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    A drift/punch works fine as well. Take the sight out left to right (direction of ejection port), tap in the new one right to left. If it's not going anywhere, take a very little bit of material off the bottom of the sight with a fine file or sandpaper and try again.

It also depends on the sights, given the choice I'd say its worth $20-30 to not have to beat on my tritium sights with a hammer and punch. You can pop a tritium vital out if you aren't careful.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    X2 on both parts. I've installed TFO sights on my m&p 45 with no issues.
    FO sights on my m&p 9 with some hard work and broke a TFO front sight on my m&p 9.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Is the press for rent? Is the $20-30 you quoted to rent the press or to have Dan install the sights?

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I put a new sight on mine yesterday. It was just moving nowhere. I put super fine sand paper to the bottom of the front sight a tiny bit at a time and got it moving in smooth with no damage. I also ground down the drift to fit in the groove perfectly and it went much better this time.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I put a new sight on mine yesterday. It was just moving nowhere. I put super fine sand paper to the bottom of the front sight a tiny bit at a time and got it moving in smooth with no damage. I also ground down the drift to fit in the groove perfectly and it went much better this time.

What sight did you swap to? I think I might try just some straight fiber optic sights and sell my VTAC's.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I put the same TFO sights on it that are on my M&P45. I decided to just learn to live with the combat style sights on the M&P and buy a target 1911.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I tried changing the sights on my MP40c using a nylon-tipped punch, but the sights seemed far harder to move than any other gun I have owned. I ended up going to a friend who has a universal sight tool. Even with that, I slightly filed the new sights to make the fit a little easier.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I had to dremel a relief cut into the stock sight to get it out of the 9. These things are ridiculously tight.

I have a hand held slide vise/sight pusher, done probably a dozen sights with it, even a Kahr PM9 and M&P 9c, also known for tight sights, it started to flex too much to get my M&P pro's front sight out, had to use my 8 ton shop press, it came out, but was by far the tightest sight I ever had to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom