• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cvillanueva

Feb 13, 2012
    Waldorf
    I've tried searching for what the difference is and still can't understand. They look very similar. Is the 22/45 is exactly like a mark III but with a 45 grip?

Right now I'm looking at a mark 22/45 hunter model. But can't find this model on ruger's website. Could it be mislabeled at the store?

I'm leaning more towards the target/hunter/competition models with bull barrels. What would you choose and why? Any advice is appreciated.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Besides grip angle, the biggest difference is the 22/45 has a polymer frame and the MKIII has a steel frame.

I much prefer 22/45 Target models (bull barrel) with integral grips. As an added plus, they are considerably less money and weight than the MKIII models.

If you have small or medium hands, integral grips on the polymer frame make a big difference in comfort and trigger reach. It's quite a bit thinner than the removable-grip models.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Basically, you are right.

The MkIII has a steel frame and the 22/45 has a polymer frame
    The MkIII grip is styled after a Nambu pistol and is similar to a Luger, whereas the 22/45 is designed to simulate the grip angle of a 1911.

The barrel/receiver combo is interchangable between the two models AFAIK.

Ruger 22 pistol speak:
    The Hunter means a fluted bull barrel usu with a fiber optic front sight
    The Competition is a slab side bull barrel with adjustable iron front sight
    The Target model is plain bull barrel, adjustable iron sight
    The standard model is a tapered barrel with non-adjustable iron sights.

Ruger just updated their lineup this year and the 22/45 Hunter was discontinued but it was made as a factory weapon.

What you should get depends on what your use is. If you are looking for a hiking gun to take care of snakes then a 22/45 with a short barrel might be what you need due to weight and barrel length.

If you purpose is target-plinking-varmint then I would suggest the 7" (6.88" but whatever) fluted barrel because of the longer sight radius and slight accuracy increase of the longer barrel. Plus the fluting acts as a radiator to cool down the barrel during periods of prolonged fire.

I would highly recommend getting the Volquartsen trigger group installed at some point because the stock triggers on Rugers ain't what they used to be.

I think on the new model 22/45 the grip slabs are removable and replaceable with any 1911 grips. The old models are not. It sounds like you are looking at an older model 22/45 with integrated grip slabs. It is a very comfortable weapon to shoot but grips cannot be replaced, whereas on the mk3 and the new 22/45 they can be. (I put a set of CT lasergrips on my Mk3 and it is almost like cheating)

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    If you have plans for a can at any point, look that the factory threaded models. Plan ahead and buy once.

cvillanueva

Feb 13, 2012
    Waldorf
    $470 a&d pawn in glen burnie

On target has a 22/45 mark III hunter for around the same price. It was kinda long and the grips were way too skinny.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    If you get a 22/45 and do the Volqartsen accurazing kit and bushing for the mag disconnect you can also use MarkII 22/45 magazines in the Mark III 22/45. I got mine from Joebob, basically 5 for about $100 with free shipping at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom