• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Upperbay

Oct 20, 2019
    Having jamming and feed issues. Just replaced recoil buffer that had slowly disintegrated a little over time. Issue resolved.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I bought an old Marlin 60 from a friend years ago missing mag insert and failures to feed. I replaced the mag insert and recoil spring for about $20, gave it a good cleaning and my son's has shot it a bunch since then.

josnyder

Jun 14, 2022
    Maryland
    Having jamming and feed issues. Just replaced recoil buffer that had slowly disintegrated a little over time. Issue resolved.
    Love my Marlin 60. I bought it in the 80's. Shot a million rounds with barely a hitch. Did need to replace the buffer. Bought one on eBay for about $4. Great rifle.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    My Glenfield Model 60 was my first firearm. Shot so many rounds through it I could not even begin to recall the round count and yes my buffer disintegrated twice if I remember right. Probably all of the old Remington yellow jackets I put through it. Easy fix.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    One of the biggest problems with the model 60 is the feed ramp blocks on older ones. They are 2 piece blocks that tend to loosen up and split apart a bit and cause feed issues. No replacements available except maybe used ones on eBay. I wonder if Ruger/Marlin will bring back the model 60? Marlin sold tons of these before the end. I think there have been more 60's sold than 10/22's so it might make sense for Ruger to bring back the 60 even though it would compete with the 10/22.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I’m far away from home but, we had a family Model 60 getting passed around and it made its way to me as it was not feeding (possibly not extracting or ejecting I don’t recall now) but, I found a YouTube video that explained how prevalent the problem is and showed how easy it was to fix.

IIRC it only involved slightly bending a metal part and yet I do recall ordering some parts from Numrich (probably just to have them on hand in this rifles future tho…)

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Bending the ejector wire on the newer style is probably what you did to fix it. It's called the "nickel trick" where you used a nickel to gauge the distance to bend the wire.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I had one that was not feeding and did exactly said "nickel" trick, worked perfectly and sold it almost immediately after.

Upperbay

Oct 20, 2019
    After watching video. My spring would not pass the Nickel test. I ran 12 rounds through after buffer change and good cleaning with no issues. Will see next time out with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom