• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Sorry for the late start to the 2023 thread - been a busy start to the year with new jobs and such. But we are off and running with three rifle clinics and two instructor boot camps so fare this year and more to come!

We already have a loaded schedule and have even more opportunities for some of our specialized clinics to be announced as the year progresses.

Rifle Marksmanship Clinics
    A lot of you are probably interested in our standard one and two day Rifle Marksmanship clinics - we hope to have at least 30 of those scheduled once we finalize with some of our ranges. Our Rifle Marksmanship clinics are fun, and your shooting will improve whatever your starting skill level! You will also learn the history of April 19, 1775 and the shot heard round the world.

What is the difference between a One Day and Two Day Event?
    We understand that some folks cannot dedicate an entire weekend to one activity due to family, personal, and work commitments. And seasonally, it is less pleasant to sweat or freeze for two days in a row. We therefore have different versions of the courses to accommodate shooters of all kinds. The One Day events includes the entire basic course of instruction, history, and, typically, one or two chances to qualify as Rifleman in a single day. It can be a pretty intense event - you will certainly "drink from a firehose" of instruction. The Two Day events expand the course of instruction to include more lessons, drills, Red Coat targets, and, of course, more chances to qualify as Rifleman.

Pistol Clinics
    We have now had 9 pistol clinics in Maryland with 31 Marylanders earning their Pistoleer patches - Huzzah! We have about 10 pistol clinics planned for the year if everything works out (not all are on the schedule yet). Appleseed Pistol Clinics focuse on building pistol handling and marksmanship, with some defensive skills in the mix - it is a challenging course of fire for even experienced pistol shooters but will certainly bring a new shooter along very quickly as well.

Combined Rifle and Pistol Clinics
    We are trialing a new concept this year where we combine one-day Rifle and Pistol clinics for a full weekend shooting experience. You have to sign up for the classes separately (Thurmont July 1 and 2; and September 9 and 10) but anyone who attends both in the same weekend will earn a special patch from the Shoot Boss. We hope this becomes a standard event in the future - Maryland is the test case - so if you are interested sign up!

Rimfire Known Distance Clinics (200 yards)
    We hope to have at least TWO one-day Rimfire Known Distance clinics on the calendar - probably in the fall (we are still figuring out which ranges will host - if you are a member somewhere and would like to sponsor us, we would appreciate it) These events move beyond scaled targets at 25 meters and push shooters and equipment as they engage targets between 50 and 200 yards from all the positions Appleseed teaches. You have to have attended a prior Appleseed event but do not have to be a Rifleman.

Ladyseed Clinics
    We have scheduled our first Maryland Ladyseed event in many years - September 23-24 at AAFG in Annapolis! With an expanded cadre of female instructors leading the way, it is an Appleseed designed specifically for women and offers the opportunity for women to shoot, share and get to know each other in a comfortable learning environment.

Private Clinics
    And if that was not enough, we are already working with several groups on private events, such as "MilSeeds" for military units looking for their own event or youth groups. If you have a group that would be interested in a private event, feel free to contact me.

With so many moving pieces, please subscribe to this thread to get updates!

Sign-up MUST be done online. All attendees MUST register online. For full fee schedule, including potential range fees, go to the registration for each event.

Events in Maryland

Finally, as mentioned above, we hope to still add more ranges and events to the calendar so stay tuned to this thread and the events page. I will try to post any new approved clinics here ASAP.

We have events in Southern PA that are very convenient to folks north of Baltimore and hope you check them out.

Events in Pennsylvania

Clinics in West Virginia and Virginia, including indoor events at the NRA range, may also be convenient for you. They each have great crews of folks and also get "border raider" instructors from the Maryland cadre.

Events in West Virginia

Events in Virginia

If you know of a range that might be interested in hosting, let me know.

These classes usually sell out quickly and we have a few groups that may buy-out entire events; sign up NOW to assure your spot on the line!

Finally, if you have been an instructor or volunteer in the past and want to get involved with the program again, we certainly want you back!

Happy to answer any questions you may have in this thread or by PM. And looking forward to posting more new events, AARs, and other fun stuff as the year begins.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Let me see if we can help you. I'm not sure how many Appleseeders there are currently in my part of the state here on the shore but I would ask the board at our club if this could be accommodated. I think our facility would be very accommodating for this sort of discipline. We have 50, 75 200 yd butts that aim could be laid from one position.
    100yd butts are however across the course on the same range and separate from the first firing point. I thnk it would be great to have somesort of organized events at our place especially for marskmanship instruction prticulary for the younger generation and our president has mentioned the topic more than a few times.

Rimfire Known Distance Clinics (200 yards)
    We hope to have at least TWO one-day Rimfire Known Distance clinics on the calendar - probably in the fall (we are still figuring out which ranges will host - if you are a member somewhere and would like to sponsor us, we would appreciate it) These events move beyond scaled targets at 25 meters and push shooters and equipment as they engage targets between 50 and 200 yards from all the positions Appleseed teaches. You have to have attended a prior Appleseed event but do not have to be a Rifleman.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Thanks!
    Did the regular Appleseed a decade + ago. Might do again, or maybe pistol event this time.

Not any in Southern MD anymore?

Sanners Lakes used to host, as well as St Charles SC ar the now defunct Middleton facility.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Thanks!
    Did the regular Appleseed a decade + ago. Might do again, or maybe pistol event this time.

Not any in Southern MD anymore?

Sanners Lakes used to host, as well as St Charles SC ar the now defunct Middleton facility.

We would love to have you out for a pistol event! They are similar in format to the rifle events (building skills to a qualification target but a bit faster and fun. Good change of pace.

We have hosted clinics at Sanners for years but turnout the last couple shoots was very low so this year we haven’t sought dates. We are hoping to do pistol clinics down there but need club and member interest. We have a few members who are long-time instructors with the program and are willing to host events. So if you think there is critical mass and club support, we can try to get one scheduled.

Been years since we did anything at SCSC due to the facility closure. Which stinks because I live in Accokeek…

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Happy Patriots’ Day!

248 years ago, ordinary men and women stepped out of their homes and did selfless, extraordinary things for us - their Posterity!

I hope you encourage friends, family, and coworkers to take a moment to reflect on the heroism and sacrifices of those brave men and women who turned out on April 19th!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Alright, I am way behind on updates again...sorry about that.

Annapolis, MD- May 20-21,2022 Rifle Clinic​

Another fantastic Appleseed rifle clinic completed with a line made up almost entirely of first time Appleseeders. Like the patriots that lined up on Lexington's green on April 19th, 1775, the shooters consisted of young and old - our youngest shooters 11 years old and several of us over 50. Every student showed drastic improvement. Groups went from basketball size to many consistently down to 4 MOA by Sunday.

Saturday morning's Redcoat target resulted in only two shooters effective to over 300 yards. Our last Redcoat we had ten! Luke N. cleared his Saturday morning Redcoat earning Maryland's Immortal 400 patch, HUZZAH!

These four shooter's qualified as Rifleman and earned their first Rifleman patches:
    Luke N. - 235 and 243 Distinguished with Optics
    Kevin L - 232
    Loran L - 223
    Chris G - 210 and 210

Thanks again to all our participants. Everyone expressed excitement in sharing their experiences with their friends. We look forward to seeing you on the line again soon. Don't forget to bring a friend. Many thanks to the efforts of our dedicated volunteers for exceptional coaching and to our host range AAFG. I am also proud to announce that Liberty Boy completed his final Instructor Progress Checks and will be receiving his Red Hat at the next event.

Thurmont, MD Pistol Clinic - May 20-21, 2023

At the same time we had a rifle clinic in Annapolis, another team of volunteers was hosting a great weekend of pistol instruction at TCSC! 7 students made the pilgrimage out to be on the line for this two day pistol event on this warm May weekend. Everyone who attended was a previous Rifle event student!

Saturday morning's hits count target showed that there was skill present, but we also had some work to do. The class stayed attentive and soaked up all points of instruction. BBQ_Bandit captured everyone's attention with his rising telling of the 1st Strike. Many drills and points of instruction followed, along with a great 2nd strike by BBQ_Bandit. The end of the day Saturday wrapped up with a PQT, to which John lept out of the gate with a 230! This also turned out to be the high score for the weekend for the students! Everyone showed significant improvements on the hits count target (but alas, no one was able to hit that darned button).

Sunday morning's hit count target showed significant improvement over the prior days' efforts, and I knew that I would be handing more patches out by the end of the day. We started off the morning with a PQT (with many to follow). Afterward, we switched gears to the Big Dot Little Dot challenge, to which Kevin bested all the other rimfire shooters with a time of 32.84! John took the fastest time for centerfire with a 39.19! Lunch brought on the 3rd strike, and in between PQTs we also covered a lot of ground with the Onion of Self Defense and holster considerations. Everyone showed significant progress throughout the day, and the whole class participated in ProgressNotPerfection's onion of self defense presentation.

I mentioned that I would be handing out a few more patches on Sunday and Kevin rose to the challenge to obtain one of them! He consecutively scored Pistoleer with a 210, 219, 214, and a 218. He knows very well what he is about! First time Pistol Clinic student Simon also earned one of those coveted patches. He scored a 211 on the second to last PQT of the day. Simon made incredible progress throughout the clinic, and we're all proud of the great strides that you made!

Dynamic duo Donna and Bobby (repeat students from one of my pistol clinics last year) came back with some new gear and with a goal of improving their skills. Donna made SIGNIFICANT leaps in skill between the last clinic and this one, and I'm excited to see her progression as she continues along this journey. Bobby also honed his skills as well, and came oh-so-close with a 203! Bobby's got what it takes, and I'm sure I'll be handing him a patch at the next event that he attends. Toni also made significant progress throughout the weekend. She started with a new to her pistol, and made significant strides right away. After some initial troubles, swapping to a red dot equipped FN 502 allowed her to take another great leap in skill. Many time Appleseeders John and Joe persisted throughout the class, and kept things fresh by swapping out gear a few times. John attempted the PQT with a 5 shot revolver (he was able to get all rounds off within the time limit on every stage!), and also brought a .45 (God's caliber) to the line for a PQT or two. Joe was knocking on the Pistoleers' door throughout day 2 with many scores in the high 190s - with a subcompact 9mm! I'm confident that your next event will result in a patch. That said, PQT scores aren't the only thing that matters - each person made significant progress!

The last chance at Pitcairn's button proved elusive, and despite the challenges presented throughout the weekend, all the students ended the class on a positive note. Lastly, thanks to the instructors on the line for this event, and the host Club, Thurmont Conservation & Sportsmans Club, for a great weekend on the line. PnP was awarded her full instructor Red Hat - Huzzah!

Pictures are available in an online album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mQBdrqmZf8mHy7pv9 and will soon be posted to our Maryland Appleseed Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064405762810

I hope to see everyone on the line at a future pistol or rifle event!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    @Catch-10-22 Are there any spots open for the shoot tomorrow in Annapolis?

Unfortunately it is sold out, as is our event in Bowie on August 7. The Pistol clinic at AGC next weekend was also sold out this morning but seems to have one spot left.

There are spots available for the one day rifle clinics in Thurmont on July 2 and in Annapolis on July 15.

I know it stinks for hopeful students, but we are so excited to fill the lines!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom