• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JChris

Jan 10, 2021
    Clarksburg
    Okay, the 26" was for shotguns, not SBRs
    has: Maryland Law, Criminal Law Article ("CR").§ 4-201(f), defines "short-barreled rifle" as a rifle that 1. One or more barrels with one or both measuring less than 16 inches long; OR 2. Has an overall length of less than 26 inches AND was manufactured from a rifle either by alteration or modification.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    has: Maryland Law, Criminal Law Article ("CR").§ 4-201(f), defines "short-barreled rifle" as a rifle that 1. One or more barrels with one or both measuring less than 16 inches long; OR 2. Has an overall length of less than 26 inches AND was manufactured from a rifle either by alteration or modification.
    You're gonna have to but your faith in me and believe; the minimum length of a center fire short barreled rifle in the state of Maryland since 10/1/2013 is 29". Measurement to be taken from a fully extended butt-stock to the permanent end of the barrel*

*a barrel's length can be legally extended by pinning and welding or silver soldering a muzzle device to the existing barrel muzzle.

sbrmeasure.jpg

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You're gonna have to but your faith in me and believe; the minimum length of a center fire short barreled rifle in the state of Maryland since 10/1/2013 is 29". Measurement to be taken from a fully extended butt-stock to the permanent end of the barrel*

*a barrel's length can be legally extended by pinning and welding or silver soldering a muzzle device to the existing barrel muzzle.
    This is true. 100%.

JChris

Jan 10, 2021
    Clarksburg

View attachment 370536
    Well it's not like you have a trustworthy face..

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I have a question about SBR's likely someone has covered this some where but here goes:
    I read the statute & and advisory from State of MD
    why are there two dimensions in the definitions ?
    26" & 29"
    There are two dimensions because there are two different definitions. The 26" dimension comes from an SBR definition (which changes depending on which section of the law you are reading). The 29" requirement comes from the definition of a "Copycat weapon"(See Criminal Law Title 4 Subtitle 3). MD decided to ban "Copycat weapons" in 2013 and so you cannot posses an SBR that meets the "Copycat weapon" definition unless you were in possession of it prior to Oct 2013. This effectively means you cannot posses an centerfire SBR that is less than 29". Rimfire SBRs do not have that length limitation.

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    There are two dimensions because there are two different definitions. The 26" dimension comes from an SBR definition (which changes depending on which section of the law you are reading). The 29" requirement comes from the definition of a "Copycat weapon"(See Criminal Law Title 4 Subtitle 3). MD decided to ban "Copycat weapons" in 2013 and so you cannot posses an SBR that meets the "Copycat weapon" definition unless you were in possession of it prior to Oct 2013. This effectively means you cannot posses an centerfire SBR that is less than 29". Rimfire SBRs do not have that length limitation.
    So if the AWB gets overturned, does that effect the 29" requirement? I have an MPX and Vector that needs a good SBR'ing!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So if the AWB gets overturned, does that effect the 29" requirement? I have an MPX and Vector that needs a good SBR'ing!

No. That will likely need to be a separate suit.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

Yes it would affect the 29" requirement as it is part of the "copycat weapon" definition, which is part of the "assault weapon" definition. The definition itself would not be overturned, but the prohibition on possession would if the AWB ban gets overturned.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    No. That will likely need to be a separate suit.
    Actually it would because the current suit (Bianchi v Frosh) is challenging the prohibition on "assault weapons". The current suit is only challenging the prohibition on "assault weapons". All other aspects of the FSA 2013 would not be effected including the ban on detachable mags >10 rounds

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    damn need a Henry .44 rimfire sbr :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You already could have a .44 Centerfire Henry SBR now. The 29 inch only applies to SEMIAUTOMATIC Centerfires , not lever ( or Single Shot ) .

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

View attachment 370536
    Yes 100% true I have 11.5" barrel with a 6in muzzle device attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom