• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    MDS'ers could anyone recommend any books for Garand building ? I'm thinking of putting one together with parts. Theirs a number of books out their looking for a head start with books recommended. How much where their be a need for a gunsmith assuming their will be some specialty tools needed. I have a shop I take apart and clean my own weapons I consider myself to be Mechanically inclined Carpenter and cabinet builder/refinisher by trade

Orlando

Are you installing a new barrel or just assembling a rifle on a barreled receiver?
    If you are assembling a rifle on a barreled reciever no book is needed.
    I suppose you are aware its tools for reaming and the receiver wrench, barrel vice, levels, headspace gauges are going to cost you hundreds of $$$
    If you are wanting to build a rifle to save $$$ it wont happen .
    If you need any prts for your build I have parts I am selling, many are unissued. If you have any questions on anything PM me and I will help if I can
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/them1garandcompleteassemblyguidebuildyourowngarand.aspx

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Are you installing a new barrel or just assembling a rifle on a barreled receiver?
    If you are assembling a rifle on a barreled reciever no book is needed.
    I suppose you are aware its tools for reaming and the receiver wrench, barrel vice, levels, headspace gauges are going to cost you hundreds of $$$
    If you are wanting to build a rifle to save $$$ it wont happen .
    If you need any prts for your build I have parts I am selling, many are unissued. If you have any questions on anything PM me and I will help if I can
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/them1g...o build one any help would be great Thank you

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    The CMP has field grades available now for $630 shipped. I just got one Wednesday, sent my order in a week before. Yeah it's not the prettiest but it's still a good gun.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    It's almost always way more expensive to assemble an M1 from parts than to just buy one from the CMP.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    The CMP build program is really neat but more than the $1300 he didn't want to spend. If you only want a decent shooter a CMP service grade will fit the bill. A field grade would probably even do it.
    If you are hell bent on building one (I get it) than a barreled reciever will seriously cut down on tooling etc. a barreled reciever is very easy to complete into a rifle. But it won't be cheaper than just buying a service grade.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    There is a program at Anniston where you can build an M1 using their tools and gauges, etc under the supervision of one of their Armorers.

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/advanced-maintenance-class/

ya I read the thread earlier this summer on this if I remember correctly he was a fair amount over 2 thousand id love to do it I've been married for 35 years and I've learned hobbies and moderation happy wife happy life right Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom