• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    This message was a response to my fathers snail mail letter. Thought I would share.

Thank you very much for your correspondence regarding gun control laws. I appreciate hearing your views on this important matter. In its totality, the Second Amendment to the Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." In its rulings, the U.S. Supreme Court has held that regulation of firearms that is not unreasonable or capricious meets the standards of the Second Amendment. For example, in its ruling in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller , decided in 2008, the Supreme Court stated that "like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited." Additionally, the Court stated: [N] othing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. [ fn 26: We identify these presumptively lawful regulatory measures only as examples; our list does not purport to be exhaustive.]

Thus, even in its ruling striking down the District of Columbia's ban on the possession of handguns, the Supreme Court did not strike down the District's gun licensing requirements. Given the Supreme Court's findings, I support reasonable restrictions on gun ownership, including reinstatement of the ban on automatic weapons. Sadly, gun violence has become a constant in American life. Both urban and rural areas have experienced numerous tragedies. While increased education, incarceration of violent criminals, and improvements in public safety must be part of our effort to reduce gun violence, I believe that keeping guns out of the hands of criminals is essential to preventing gun violence. I have consistently supported bills that would provide key safety provisions, such as requiring 3 business days to complete background checks on weapons purchased at gun shows; requiring safety locks on or storage of all handguns; banning the importation of large ammunition clips; and increasing the minimum age for handgun purchases. As the Ranking Member of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, in 2011, I issued a staff report entitled "OUTGUNNED: Law Enforcement Agents Warn Congress They Lack Adequate Tools to Counter Illegal Firearms Trafficking." This report documented how numerous law enforcement officials testified before Congress that a dedicated prohibition on firearms trafficking would help them more effectively combat the illegal sale and transport of guns in the U.S. and internationally. In the last Congress, I introduced the Stop Gun Trafficking and Strengthen Law Enforcement Act of 2011, H.R. 2554, with Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney to provide the prohibition sought by law enforcement. Together with Congressmembers Maloney, Rigell, and Meehan , I recently introduced H.R. 452, The Gun Trafficking Prevention Act of 2013, in the 113th Congress. This legislation - the first bi-partisan gun violence prevention legisla tion introduced in the House - would prohibit firearms trafficking, strengthen penalties for straw purchasers, and enhance penalties for kingpins and multiple illegal purchases. Further, I commend the President and Vice President for taking strong, common-sense steps to curb gun violence in our communities and look forward to working on legislation to strengthen gun control. I am also a co-sponsor of the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, H.R. 308, which would amend the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit: (1) the transfer or possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device, except for its lawful possession within the United States on or before the date of this Act's enactment; and (2) the importation or bringing into the United States of such a device. While I recognize the rights of law-abiding citizens, I believe it is my obligation to ensure that our nation's communities are safe from the threat of gun violence. For this reason, I will continue to fight for responsible and appropriate gun control legislation, including provisions to limit those with criminal backgrounds or mental impairment from obtaining weapons. Thank you again for your correspondence, and please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I may be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Elijah E. Cummings Member of Congress

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    He made it most of the way through without using "common-sense". Unfortunately, he used it in the same sentence regarding the President and Vice-President...which we all know doesn't hold water.

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    "....prohibit firearms trafficking, strengthen penalties for straw purchasers, and enhance penalties for kingpins and multiple illegal purchases...."

Put Eric Holder in jail and watch the numbers plummet.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    "....prohibit firearms trafficking, strengthen penalties for straw purchasers, and enhance penalties for kingpins and multiple illegal purchases...."

Put Eric Holder in jail and watch the numbers plummet.

Why strengthen penalties, if they are not even prosecuting straw purchasers?

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Saw him on C-Span yesterday. Him and his crew, complete with an obligatory Connecticut speaker :rolleyes: trying to get the soft sell and grease the door jamb before the big legislation gets here. Then Maloney (NY) came on saying, "straw purchasers and arms traffickers are selling guns to Mexico, just to have our border agents shot by these illegal guns" I almost emptied a mag into my TV.:mad54:

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    He made it most of the way through without using "common-sense". Unfortunately, he used it in the same sentence regarding the President and Vice-President...which we all know doesn't hold water.

:mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

I wanna beat some common sense into these a$$hats

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom