• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    my brother in law and i went to freestate last night and had a blast! we shot his mini 14 and my new m&p15t. if you looked at his brass though the mini would make a pretty nice size dent in it when it shot. is this normal? it was basically crushed where the bullet sat. what would cause this?

Mr H

Banana'd
    my brother in law and i went to freestate last night and had a blast! we shot his mini 14 and my new m&p15t. if you looked at his brass though the mini would make a pretty nice size dent in it when it shot. is this normal? it was basically crushed where the bullet sat. what would cause this?

I have seen this on mine as well, where there is a small dent at what I'll call the hip of the neck taper. It seems more pronounced with a full mag and the bolt closed, but as I've yet to actually get it out to shoot it, I'm just keeping it empty for now.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Every mini I've been around while shooting seems to be hard on the brass during extraction/ejection, dent's a touch over halfway up the case, some on the case mouth - seems to be standard operating procedure to me.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Every mini I've been around while shooting seems to be hard on the brass during extraction/ejection, dent's a touch over halfway up the case, some on the case mouth - seems to be standard operating procedure to me.

My Mini GB throws brass a country mile... much to the dismay of the grumpy old range officer up at Hap Baker.

The casings are beat up worse than a pledge on a FAMU band bus. :lol2:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ive scored brass off of Mini 14 shooters, just about every one of them, put dents in the cases, probably from hitting the edge of ejection port.

Fortunatly I shoot a bolt in .223 - so it just blows back out, and thats the last time I see a dent in the case.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My Mini GB throws brass a country mile... much to the dismay of the grumpy old range officer up at Hap Baker.

:lol: :lol2:

May be a bit too soon for that one, but that was hilarious... :lol2:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Mine (581 series) only puts a small ding, and it doesn't always do it. It does fling the brass like 20 ft though, as others have noted.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore

That maybe my fault, on my 1 trip to Hap a hot steel casing from my mini 14 went into a RO's shirt. He can dance.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills

If I recall correctly, the older RSO at Hap uses a cane.

That would suck to take a nasty fall on someones spent brass.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    I actually like that guy. It's the other older guy that can be a PITA.

I haven't had an issue with either or them, but if sweeping up brass is all it takes to keep someone who is mobility impaired from an injury, I seriously hope shooters would do it. It gets back to the mantra of "everyone at the range is a safety officer". Plus, IIRC I think he's a vet. If he froze his a$$ off in Korea or somewhere while my Daddy was still going to the principals office, I think we owe him at least that.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    It comes from the case hitting the op rod/charge handle upon ejection. Since I handload In put a pice of rubber wheather strip on my op rod. It helps but you may still get a dent at times. If you look you can see brass where it contacts the op rod.

Last edited:

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    There is an aftermarket adjustable gas port available. The Mini is know for being overgassed, so using the adjustable gas port might reduce the ejection distance to 1/4 mile instead of half, and reduce the dents. The cut-up vacuum cleaner belt buffer might help a little too?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I'll have to try the weather stripping, if I ever get a chance to shoot my Mini again. We soon have a munchkin arriving which will most likely put a damper on my projected range time. Couple that with other more intriguing items to shoot towards the front of the safe, the Mini has been relegated to being swaddled in a gun sock where it spoons contently in the back of the safe with a 1950s Winchester mod 63a my grand-dad left to me. :rolleyes:

Actually the guy with the cane is always very nice to me as is "Jerry" and the dude with the Ron Burgundy style glasses. I ALWAYS shoot in lanes 5 and 6, which are the 100 and 200 yard only lanes.

*** Notice *** No old grumpy range officers were injured during precursor range time to this post. Use only as directed, some ammo not available in all jurisdictions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom