• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    My son is 16 and sees that i carry a little 3+inch folding knife hooked in my pants all the time. He said that he would like to have one too. Before I give him one I wanted to run it by here. From what I have seen he is legal to have it anywhere I have mine. (no schools and such). But I saw something about 1 hour before and after sundown. Is this true? So if we go to the mall or out to dinner at 5pm and we dont leave until 7pm and it happens to get dark, he is breaking the law? Thanks all...

Evan

My son is 16 and sees that i carry a little 3+inch folding knife hooked in my pants all the time. He said that he would like to have one too. Before I give him one I wanted to run it by here. From what I have seen he is legal to have it anywhere I have mine. (no schools and such). But I saw something about 1 hour before and after sundown. Is this true? So if we go to the mall or out to dinner at 5pm and we dont leave until 7pm and it happens to get dark, he is breaking the law? Thanks all...

Evan

I seriously doubt that is true,it would mean he can carry it longer (timewise) in the summer than in the winter since the days are shorter.Reminds me of the one that a blade can't be longer than your palm,so a man with bigger hands gets a bigger knife.:D

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I do not believe that there is an age restriction. Provided a knife is classified as a "pen-knife" in MD, then it really isn't a "knife" in the eyes of the law, and therefore there is no restriction to ownership. I believe the reason more youth don't carry knives is because it is impractical when going to school (considered a weapon on school grounds).

Edit:

There may be a local law that creates a curfew, but I am unaware of this ever happening.

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    My 13 year old son carries a knife any chance he can ( not to school of course), I never even gave it a thought about possibly being illegal. Such ridiculous times we live in.
    I remember when most boys openly carried a buck knife in a belt sheath to school! And many had rifles and shotguns in the gun rack of their truck on the school parking lot for hunting before or after school. No one even batted an eye about it.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I think I was 11 ish when my dad gave me a swiss army knife... And yes, i feel that I have to ask these silly question in this day and age, and this communist state we live in.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    No that law does not apply to folders. Here's why:

The text you you're referring to is in 4-101 (c) (3), which states
    (3) (i) This paragraph applies in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Caroline County, Cecil County, Harford County, Kent County, Montgomery County, Prince George’s County, St. Mary’s County, Talbot County, Washington County, and Worcester County.
    (ii) A minor may not carry a dangerous weapon between 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise, whether concealed or not, except while:
    1. on a bona fide hunting trip; or
    2. engaged in or on the way to or returning from a bona fide trap shoot, sport shooting event, or any organized civic or military activity.

But here's why it's all good: A folder is not considered a dangerous weapon.
    (ii) “Weapon” does not include:
    1. a handgun; or
    2. a penknife without a switchblade.

So it's all good. This law has been unchanged for decades, and I can tell you as a boy scout in Maryland back in the day (and my scout master was a cop), there certainly was never a problem with us having our knives on overnight camping trips.

Full text of the law: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/Statute_Web/gcr/4-101.pdf

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda

Evan

2010 Maryland Code
    CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 4 - WEAPON CRIMES
    Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
    Section 4-101 - Dangerous weapons
    § 4-101. Dangerous weapons.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-101&ext=html&session=2013RS&tab=subject5
    (a) Definitions.-

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Nunchaku" means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.

(3) (i) "Pepper mace" means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.

(ii) "Pepper mace" is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.

(4) "Star knife" means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.

(5) (i) "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

(ii) "Weapon" does not include:

1. a handgun; or

2. a penknife without a switchblade.

A pocket knife is a penknife. You can possess one of any blade length so long as it can fold into it's handle and does not have a button that makes the blade "pop" out. Since he is a minor I would give him instructions on where he can carry it. Do not let him carry it to school or to certain establishments as even cops are unfamiliar with this law and he may be (even you) wrongfully arrested. See http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Unpublished/011565.U.pdf

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    When I was 6 years old, my dad gave me my first swiss army knife. You know, the really small key chain one. I took it to school with me every day, and used it for show and tell one time. Hell, I remember bringing spent 30'06 shells to school for show and tell too. Teacher didn't treat me like a criminal, or send me to the principal's office. Man... things have changed, and I'm only 26.

This doesn't answer your question at all, but meh.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    When I was 6 years old, my dad gave me my first swiss army knife. You know, the really small key chain one. I took it to school with me every day, and used it for show and tell one time. Hell, I remember bringing spent 30'06 shells to school for show and tell too. Teacher didn't treat me like a criminal, or send me to the principal's office. Man... things have changed, and I'm only 26.

This doesn't answer your question at all, but meh.

I'm older than you, and the law never changed in either of our lifetimes. You must have either attended a private school (law doesn't apply there) or just had the state's most permissive teachers: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/Statute_Web/gcr/4-102.pdf

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    its a shame that people have to ask these questions today. im 33 and when i went to linganore high school we werent supposed to have them. hell they bitched when i went and brought my own electrical tools for my vo-tech course. I've had a knife in my pocket since i learned how to use one through the cub scouts. never leave home with out a trusty sharp pointed friend at the minimum.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    In Cub Scouts we give them out in their Bear year (4th grade ~9 Years old). They also know they can be taken away for misuse.
    Proud Papa on the days when I gave both of my boys their first pocket knife, in a ceremony in front of the whole pack. Their smiles are priceless.
    I give a lengthy class on how to use, care for and sharpen. All hands on, including supervised carving on a bar of soap.
    I also give a written test that includes questions about when it is appropriate to carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom