• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Anyone use a muzzle break on their muzzleloader and used them with Sabots. Online research seems to think you can if sized properly. I am mainly interested in smoke dispersion. I never worried about this before, but when I shot two deer Thursday I couldn't see either one after the shot. The doe was behind me on my left and ran left. I only knew that because I heard he running and that was the direction she was pointed. I could not see her for the smoke and the tree. The buck took off running head long to my left and he was obscured until he got 10 yards. If he would have run directly away I might not have been able to see him very good.

I have the CVA Accura and it is already threaded for a brake. I have no real interest in recoil reduction, but only in smoke dispersion. Also if sabots will be a problem and sizing for them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorry, I can't help on the diverting muzzle brake.

I always (not always) liked the mystery of 'where did deer go?' from behind the smokescreen. It's amazing to see how far they can go in such a short amount of time.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Interesting. Watching a video now about muzzle brakes for muzzleloaders. One of the points being made is that you need an overbored muzzle brake, because sabots will starting opening up when transiting the muzzle brake.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Use BOR lock bullets from Federal

Edit: These bullets are what I use in the Maxim50 muzzleloader. The base does not separate from the bullet and works well with the moderator (aka suppressor).

Fleet farm has them cheaper:

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    On further research I might will not do this. Louder gun requiring possible hearing protection hunting. I was mainly surprised how obscured my vision was after the shot. I know they all do this, but I do not think it was this bad with my Hawken or older inline.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Edit: These bullets are what I use in the Maxim50 muzzleloader. The base does not separate from the bullet and works well with the moderator (aka suppressor).

I thought I was the only one here with a Maxim. I purchased it when they first came out for just under $1K before the price dropped down to like $600 I think

I also used the Bor lock. Accuracy was great out to 100 yards which is much farther than I ever had to shoot.

By the way OP, one way to reduce smoke is to use Blackhorn 209 and shotgun primers. Cleaner clean up and less smoke then BP, 777 or pyrodex. White hots also produced similar results for me.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

I hope these bullets are never discontinued. Knocks the heck out of deer , very accurate out of my Rem 700 ML. Walmart usually has them cheaper than $28

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I hope these bullets are never discontinued. Knocks the heck out of deer , very accurate out of my Rem 700 ML. Walmart usually has them cheaper than $28
    I had a hard time of finding them during COVID. Since I found them today online, I purchased 3 packs of the 270 grain.

The 325 grain BOR Locks must have been discontinued.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I dont think a muzzle break is good choice for me.
    I want to be able to see the muzzle on my rifle for loading, cleaning, clearing etc.
    Maybe a smokeless proofed rifle would be a good choice for a real still day.
    I'd probably look into something like that if a smoke cloud was my primary concern.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I had a hard time of finding them during COVID. Since I found them today online, I purchased 3 packs of the 270 grain.

The 325 grain BOR Locks must have been discontinued.
    Gotcha
    270 grain is all I ever used. Walmart doesnt always have them, but when I see them a buy a pack. Even during covid I found them once in awhile. Hope I didnt just jinx myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom