• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So after watching me unsuccessfully bid on a muzzleloader at the FNRA dinner my GF got me a CVA Optima V2 w 3-9 scope for our anniversary this year. I've shot deer with muzzleloaders before but only sidelocks and with true BP. For this one I am thinking I'll buy blackhorn 209 or the Alliant MZ. I know the blackhorn 209 is touted as non-corrosive but the Alliant MZ I read was "less corrosive." Not sure if that means non-corrosive and its just a CYA thing or not. So my next questions is bullets. I've always shot lead for deer (Hornady and Buffalo Bullet) but am leaning towards sabots for this one. I have seen that the Hornady Sabots are like 80 cents a pop, but my question is can I buy regular 250 gr .452 Hornady XTP bullets and put them in plastic sabots myself? I reload all my centerfire stuff so paying around $1 a shot for the new toy would totally take the fun out of it. Also I read that the CVA needs a new breech plug for the blackhorn 209. I have read that you can get past this by using shotgun 209 primers instead of the BP 209 primers. Anybody done this? Or should I just spend the $40 and get the new plug? Thanks in advance.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You can buy bullets and sabots separately. Saves money.

Harvester makes really good sabots and Hornady XTP bullets are the bomb on Bambi.

Buy CCI Magnum 209 primers and that will solve your ignition problems.

Regardless of primers, buy the powder that ignites the easiest and get away from the "100 grains" is best crap that's out there. With loose powder, you can tailor the bullet to the rifle.

Lastly, get the idea of corrosive, less corrosive, and non-corrosive out of your head.

When you shoot a muzzle loader, you clean a muzzle loader. Period.

Hope this helped.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I got a CVA Stainless with the 3-9 scope wolf last fall.
    I got White Hots and shot 2 pellets of it (100grains) and Traditions Smakdown SST 250gr
    I got about 1-2MOA @ 100 yards from the bench.
    Took it out 3 times with cold clean barrel to get my scope zero'd and verify it.
    If I swab between shots and let it sit a while, i can duplicate a cold clean bore shot.
    But if I don't swab between shots with the white hots, the groups open up.
    I'm happy with the white hots & Sabot combo for hunting but have yet to hunt with it. Always rained on me the day I was going to go out with it.

BH209
    I could not find for the life of me find Magnum primers. I got the BH209 Breech plug and then tried standard Shotgun (not ML) Primers which were easy to find.
    Cold clean barrel or swab and shoot, the BH209 @ 90 grains ignited just fine and the groups stayed put. I did not try without swabbing though. Given time this summer, I'll work up a load for the BH209 just to see if I can get it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom