My first shotgun, what is the best ammo .....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeastmasterM4

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2011
    Baltimore County
    I own the Remington 870 Super magnum. It has been a while since I shot a shotgun. I am going to be shooting clays mainly until I feel good enough to actually take it hunting. I have seen on youtube people having jamming issues. One person claimed most of the jamming issues are because of cheap winchester ammo.

so:

#1.What is the most reliable firing clay ammo at the best price for my gun?
    #2.What is the best HD ammo for my gun?
    #3.Does anyone have or know where I can get a rifled deer slug barrel for my gun at the best price? I am even interested in a nice used barrel.

This gun was actually given to me and it only came with the bird barrel, however I want a slug barrel for HD and or deer hunting. I know how easy it is to change out the barrels. I plan to use the gun for all these platforms.

thanks for any input!

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    I have an 870 express.
    1) I use federal target loads. I had issues with winchester white box.
    2) Pattern several out of your barrel at your intended differences. I chose 00bk but load type is debatable. I really like the Federal XM127 00bk. Most important part is that your pattern it and make sure it is reliable through your gun.
    3) I shoot rifled slugs through my 20" smooth bore barrel. Pie plate accurate at 50 yds and I could probably push it to 75yds.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I like the Winchester Super X. I have a Mossberg so I don't have to worry about jams. :D

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    Some 870 Express barrels are chambered a little tight. If you have this condition, some cheap shells expand just enough once fired that they hang up in the chamber. Other than this condition, the only other time I have seen an 870 jam is if you short shuck it and the bolt opens far enough to release the shell latches but doesn't allow the shell to ramp up into the chamber. This one has nothing to do with the brand of shell used, it is simply user error.

It is hard to beat Remington Gun Club shells for general clay shooting especially when you find them on sale at Dicks or Wal Mart. For home defense (as if the average person needs it) I would agree with the 00 Buck. On average 00 will run you about $1 per round, but it can be bought in bulk a lot cheaper. People get a little carried away with the home defense stuff and act like they are trying to stop a grizzly bear. Any shotgun round at close range is going to stop all but the most cracked out drug user at close range.

BeastmasterM4

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2011
    Baltimore County
    cool, good info! Thanks everyone! Yeah, I'm still waiting to get the shotgun in my hands. Once I have it in hand. I'm going to be picking up some clay ammo and heading to the clay shooting range. The second barrel for the shotgun will have to wait a little while still. I just ordered a new 16" barrel for my rifle and I still need to order the rifle length free floating hand rail and gas block. Then put it all together. In the mean time my 40 cal is doing just fine for HD ....

Hopefully I will have the shotgun in the next two weeks. It was a total shock when my dad called me and told me what he got me. Dad's are pretty cool sometimes!! lol ... not to mention he picked the most versatile shotgun on the market for me which ALSO can shoot 3.5" shells! GO DAD

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Just pick up a flat of Gun Club light #8s for targets and some 00 for the other concern. As you shoot more and become more familiar with what you're doing, you may shoot other stuff for other games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom