• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Hello All!

Many you have read my other thread where I described reading about the Appleseed events and wanting to attend. Because of this, I did a little research and discovered the highly customizable Ruger 10/22. This led to me purchasing one to construct a "Liberty Training Rifle" to use at a future Appleseed. Many members provide comments and feedback on my situation.

This might not seem like much to many of the experienced board members who I have lived vicariously thru by reading their posts. However, I am a true novice and have never worked on any sort of firearm. I wanted to take a few minutes and post the results of my first effort. Thanks and I appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

A quick list of my modifications:

• Ruger 10/22
    • Added Sling Swivels and 1 1/2" "GI Sling"
    • Added Tech Sights (Trying iron sights!)
    • Added Extended Magazine Release
    • Modified Bolt Release

Happy and Safe Shooting!

The Stock Ruger 10/22 out of the box

LTR1.jpg

The Liberty Training Rifle

LTR2.jpg

Close up of the Tech Sight

LTR3.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Looks good! Almost identical to mine.

You'll want to switch the sling around, back to front, though.

Here's a good video on the web sling:

When you reverse the sling, you can leave the adjusting clasp/ clamp-thing the way you have it, if you want. That's the Army way. But for target work, you'll want to turn it so the smooth side is in, toward the rifle. That way, the smooth side will be against your hand. Set up the Army Way, the sharp side can dig into your hand.

Here's a photo showing how I set up the slings on my Garands: Notice I turned the smooth side in on the clasps.

Attachments

• Service Grade, April 2012 008.jpg
      Service Grade, April 2012 008.jpg
      73.1 KB · Views: 565

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Looks good! Almost identical to mine.

You'll want to switch the sling around, back to front, though.

When you reverse the sling, you can leave the adjusting clasp/ clamp-thing the way you have it, if you want. That's the Army way. But for target work, you'll want to turn it so the smooth side is in, toward the rifle. That way, the smooth side will be against your hand. Set up the Army Way, the sharp side can dig into your hand.

@Threeband - Thanks for the tip. I took a shot at mounting it with a note to follow up on the proper way. My "newb" is showing but the great people on this site are always helping out!

Gaius Baltar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 7, 2010
    looking good. imo, everyone should have a ruger 10/22. it's the ultimate shtf rifle.

i will probably get flamed for this comment, but **** it. :o)

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Looks great. I purchased the same rifle and added a green mountain bull barrel and revolution stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0872.JPG
      IMG_0872.JPG
      90.1 KB · Views: 384

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Do you understand how to adjust those sights?

Going to use the directions from Tech Sights and some help from an experienced friend. Hoping to do this at Freestate tomorrow and then follow up at a longer, outdoor range in the future.

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Well I got both of my Ruger 10/22s out today to get the sights zeroed. Picked up a family membership from Freestate while there. The Ruger with the Tech Sights was a bit harder to get close to where I think it should be but a second trip should help.

BTW - using iron sights on a Ruger 10/22 at 25 yards, what is a realistic grouping size?

Thanks to everyone who has been helping me!:thumbsup:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

BTW - using iron sights on a Ruger 10/22 at 25 yards, what is a realistic grouping size? ...

... Practice until you can consistently group 1” or less at 25 meters (81 ft).

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/rifle.asp?ITEM=2

You can probably find some 1" target dots to make some practice targets.

Pay close attention to your Natural Point of Aim, and all the fundamentals you'll learn at an Appleseed.

Try out the positions in this training film, too.

Patent Guy

Rifleman
    Sep 1, 2010
    AA County
    Very nice! We are looking forward to seeing you use this rifle in an Appleseed. We have one coming up in Delaware soon, and later we'll be back on the line in Annapolis at AAF&G.
    Until then you can practice by dry firing (which is no problem with a 10-22).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom