• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Hey guys, my boots are falling apart and it looks like it's that time again. Boot shoppin! Now while I was looking around I stumbled across these: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...-tex-infantry-boots-foliage.aspx?a=961600&e=Y .

Apparently they are used mil surp and by the color I would guess USAF. I assume issued boots can't be to bad but I was hoping someone could help me I.D the maker on these boots. Nothing worse than getting burned on a pair of cheapos. Normally I wouldn't look at a $40 pair of boots but if these were issue for the money i'm definetly tempted. Thanks in advance!!

Not 100% sure The Depot was the best place for this but i've seen plenty of reviews on belts, carriers etc on here so it was my best guess.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    It really depends on who had the contract(s) the year(s) around when the boot was made

remember as with anything Milsurp....it was made by the lowest bidder

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    It really depends on who had the contract(s) the year(s) around when the boot was made

remember as with anything Milsurp....it was made by the lowest bidder

True, i'm wondering if they have a safety toe. It's not a necessity for my workplace or lifestyle but it's a luxury I would enjoy because I often carry heavy equipment and cable reels. More importantly i'm after shock absorption, traction and ankle support for jumping off RV's, walking ontop of RV's in the rain, walking through the woods, climbing ladders etc..

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Most Mil issue boots out there don't

Do yourself a favor, buy yourself a GOOD quality pair of boots like some Carolinas or Red Wings, your feet will thank you in the long run

I know MANY people don't like to shell out $150-200 on a good quality pair of boots, but, if you average it out over the much longer time those better, more comfortable boots will last you it either evens out or pays for itself

I have two pair of redwings, one is 12yrs old and on it's 3rd set of soles and the other is 2 years old and i only bought the second pair because the jobsite i was working at had a specific footwear requirement the old ones didn't meet, so say $300 in boots and 14 years of use...that's $21 a year, you can get a pair at Walmart that will last you a couple weeks of HEAVY use for about $39...(yeah i made that mistake too, a LONG story)

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Most Mil issue boots out there don't

Do yourself a favor, buy yourself a GOOD quality pair of boots like some Carolinas or Red Wings, your feet will thank you in the long run

I know MANY people don't like to shell out $150-200 on a good quality pair of boots, but, if you average it out over the much longer time those better, more comfortable boots will last you it either evens out or pays for itself

I have two pair of redwings, one is 12yrs old and on it's 3rd set of soles and the other is 2 years old and i only bought the second pair because the jobsite i was working at had a specific footwear requirement the old ones didn't meet, so say $300 in boots and 14 years of use...that's $21 a year, you can get a pair at Walmart that will last you a couple weeks of HEAVY use for about $39...(yeah i made that mistake too, a LONG story)

Yea i've got a closet full of "GREAT DEALS!" that lasted a couple months....At least they make awesome chew toys for my dog. Oh and if you give your dog an old boot for a chew toy make sure you take the laces out! Amazing how fast a German Shephard can toss an old workboot straight through a double pane window when thrashing it about :lol2:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    They're probably Bates from what I see. I'm still on my two pairs of boots from 5.11 that I bought two years ago. I've worn each of them at least twice a week since I got them. Next time, I'm going Bates since they make 10 EEE boots, which is what I need. The 5.11s are close.

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    I have been sporting a pair of belville hot weather boots for about 3 years. I have probably worn them about 30% of the time. I also used them for all of the backpacking trips i've been on in that time.

If you get military boots and you haven't tried them on before, do so before you buy them. The sizing is a bit different than your normal shoes.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    I have been sporting a pair of belville hot weather boots for about 3 years. I have probably worn them about 30% of the time. I also used them for all of the backpacking trips i've been on in that time.

If you get military boots and you haven't tried them on before, do so before you buy them. The sizing is a bit different than your normal shoes.

Yea i usually just bump my shoe (11) down to a 10 in boots and they fit right everytime.

I guess I am a little funny. I would have a hard time wearing used boots. Boots, like most other things, you get what you pay for.

I don't scoff at used items in most cases especially mil surp. Grade 1 used could be perfectly brand new. Heck Grade 2 or even 3 may just have some paint markings or something.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Look to be AF excess.

I wouldn't buy used boots though since they are likely to have shaped to the other guy's foot and will probably never fit you as well.

For what you are saying you so I would spend the $$ for exactly what you want, not an "almost right" boot.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Look to be AF excess.

I wouldn't buy used boots though since they are likely to have shaped to the other guy's foot and will probably never fit you as well.

For what you are saying you so I would spend the $$ for exactly what you want, not an "almost right" boot.

Good point! Thanks :thumbsup:

RDF5186

Feb 26, 2012
    HARFORD CO
    I have worn danner acadias and most recently patrols for years. I just spend the 80 and get them resoled and they are close to new again. Thumbs up for American made craftmanship.

phenamunan

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn Park, MD
    Those look like the AF version of the boots I was issued in boot (ha ha). I hated those boots. HATED EM. With a passion. They were heavy, uncomfortable, felt like I was walking around in with wet trash bags wrapped around my feet and made my feet stink. Otherwise, they kept my feet dry and were great.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Used boots will give you athlete's foot and tou nail fungus. Get a NEW pair of decent boots. Red Wings are great boots. They can be soled and heeled, and will last forever.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I have a heavy pair of Redwings, a medium weight pair of Bates and a light pair of Corcorans. Only the Redwings aren't Mil-Spec but they all do what I need that specific pair to do. Do yourself and your feet a favor and buy new boots. Converse, Corcoran and Bates are all available online for good prices.

Last edited:

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    HH Brown and Danner are two more companies that make kickass military boots. In my flying days in the USAF, the boots they issued us were junk. HH Brown is my boot of choice. Eleven trips to the desert and that pair of boots didn't even blink.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Thread revival. I need to look for some new workboots. They will be daily wear. I have a cracked outersole on my Timberlands Pro. Although, I think they are fairly comfortable, I'm not sure I want to get another pair. I bought them in October 2020. Does 3+ years sound good for wear? Does anyone have suggestions?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thread revival. I need to look for some new workboots. They will be daily wear. I have a cracked outersole on my Timberlands Pro. Although, I think they are fairly comfortable, I'm not sure I want to get another pair. I bought them in October 2020. Does 3+ years sound good for wear? Does anyone have suggestions?
    Specs?

I wear safety toe Danner Acadia boots for work. I just sent them back for their second reconditioning. They're 10 years old but now with brand new soles and liner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom