• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjritche

Jul 18, 2012
    Gaithersburg
    Hey everyone,

I just bought my first firearm (M&P 9mm range/carry kit) a few weeks ago, and I am looking for a good range close to the DC/Metro area. I live in Gaithersburg, MD. Ideally, the range will have some sort of training courses I can pay/sign up for to teach me the basics of taking care of the firearm, how to properly shoot, etc.

Any suggestions for a first time owner/shooter on which range to choose? Ideally I'm looking for a place where the staff is going to be friendly/tolerant to a new shooter, as I'm bound to have questions on the proper safety protocols at a range.

Also, is there anything I should think about bringing to the range, other than the obvious items (firearm, magazines, ammo, ear protection, eye protection)?

Thanks for the help,
    Mark

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Check this post out, Dave has an Excel file with all the ranges.

http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=38816

Check the Industry Partner section out for a firearms instructor. You probably want the best instructor, freelance or not, rather than any instructor that is hired at a range. If it means driving a an hour each way, please do it. This past weekend I drove from Baltimore to WV to attend a class. What I learned will be with me until old age takes my mind.

One thing to bring with you, paper and pen or pencil. Write down thoughts, questions or ideas.

EGM

May 2, 2009
    AA County
    Any suggestions for a first time owner/shooter on which range to choose? Ideally I'm looking for a place where the staff is going to be friendly/tolerant to a new shooter, as I'm bound to have questions on the proper safety protocols at a range.

Also, is there anything I should think about bringing to the range, other than the obvious items (firearm, magazines, ammo, ear protection, eye protection)?

Thanks for the help,
    Mark

I would highly recommend making the trip down to the NRA range. Friendly staff who are very helpful. Relatively cheap to shoot there and you can bring your own ammo.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey everyone,

I just bought my first firearm (M&P 9mm range/carry kit) a few weeks ago, and I am looking for a good range close to the DC/Metro area. I live in Gaithersburg, MD. Ideally, the range will have some sort of training courses I can pay/sign up for to teach me the basics of taking care of the firearm, how to properly shoot, etc.

Thanks for the help,
    Mark

Stay out of DC city limits. Its very easy to get yourself in trouble there without realizing it.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Try one of the Issac Walton Leagues.
    I know there is a Rockville, Poolesviile, Frederick, Damascus, and Mount Airy.

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    I would highly recommend making the trip down to the NRA range. Friendly staff who are very helpful. Relatively cheap to shoot there and you can bring your own ammo.

+1 and the RSO staff can probably point you in the direction of any number of instructors. I work nearby so I'm able to use it regularly. I also belong to the both Monumental Rifle and Pistol at AGC and IWLA-WAC Damascus. IWLA is really nice because it is 10 minutes from my house. So after work or on weekends its location is very convenient for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom