• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 4, 2024
    Baltimore
    I just added a midten s01 red dot to my g19
    Had to get some new tall sights to co witness
    I was trying to zero the optic like I did my lasers in the past

I was able to move the dot over to right above the front sight but I couldn’t get it to lower to line up with the iron sights even after cranking it all the way down

So I go to the range and it is shooting very low with a tight group

So I cranking the elevation on the optic but it still doesn’t move but my shot improved

Is this normal

SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    Optic is independent of irons. Don’t try to lollipop the dot on your front sight. Also the dot won’t fix problems like trigger anticipation

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    I just added a midten s01 red dot to my g19
    Had to get some new tall sights to co witness
    I was trying to zero the optic like I did my lasers in the past

I was able to move the dot over to right above the front sight but I couldn’t get it to lower to line up with the iron sights even after cranking it all the way down

So I go to the range and it is shooting very low with a tight group

So I cranking the elevation on the optic but it still doesn’t move but my shot improved

Is this normal
    Trying to solve TWO problems at the same time is hard.

Remove the dot.
    Sight in with the irons
    Then remove the irons, install the dot
    Sight in with the dot.
    Given that you are not changing the barrel arrangement, it SHOULD shoot close and then minor adjustments can take place.

I THINK that the problem is your front sight, it would seem to be too tall for your setup (since you are shooting low).
    But the correct way to sort this out is to solve the two issues independently and then join them to see how well things jive.

HTH, keep well and shoot straight!

HM

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Your red dot is higher above the bore line than your irons.
    If you "tilt it down" to align with the front sight it will be off.
    Think about it the back is way high & you pull the front down.
    If you can get one of those stick it in the muzzle laser bore-sighters you could use that though at 25 yds or so.
    Make sure you get one with internal adjustments, then collimate it (align it) by rotating 360 degrees & adjusting away from the error, rotate 30 & repeat, keep going till the dot varies as little as possible. Do this ONCE the factory should but frequently don't.
    I find the Green are visually "brighter" than the red!
    1706307387535.jpeg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Post a picture from the side of your slide right quick, where the base of the optic interfaces with the cutout in your slide. If you cranked the dot through the full range of adjustment down, that b!tch should be shooting into the ceiling. If it's still hitting low, I'm thinking the front lugs of either your mounting plate or slide cutout(not sure if you have MOS or milled) are propping up the red dot from the underside front. Hopefully you're not sighting in at something silly like 7 yards, where height over bore would come more in to play. Even at 7 yards though, a 45MOA range of adjustment should be able to get a zero if mounted right.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    amazon link
    Holy fork. I looked at the reviews and one guy posted a video showing the parallax issue he has with his. That's just not good. If his isn't a fluke and your dot moves as much as his if your dot isn't perfectly centered.....then dayum.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Also, zero your red dot at 25 yards. Lots of videos out there on why.

Actually , recently watched a video of a class by Mike Pannone ( sp) making strong case for 15 yard zero for Red Dot .

Y'all know me for my strong anti red dot bias . But I did become in agreement with his approach , as he expanded to point out that with typical RD mounting , the 15yd zero also resulted in aprox 1 inch high @ 25 yds , which just happens to be my preferred zero with Irons , for the same reasoning..

But yes , 25 yd zero is far better than 10 yds ( or 7 yds , or such like short range stuff ) .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    amazon link
    Holy fork. I looked at the reviews and one guy posted a video showing the parallax issue he has with his. That's just not good. If his isn't a fluke and your dot moves as much as his if your dot isn't perfectly centered.....then dayum.
    Like I keep telling people, red dots DO have some parallax.

The guy in the Amazon video is an idiot. The parallax is relative to distance. Try this yourself. First, aim at something only inches away like Dufus did in his review. You will experience the same thing. ALL of my RDS do that. Trijicons, Holosuns, Swampfoxs all. Now, aim at something across the room. parallax is unnoticeable. The moron threw a perfectly good red dot away.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Like I keep telling people, red dots DO have some parallax.

The guy in the Amazon video is an idiot. The parallax is relative to distance. Try this yourself. First, aim at something only inches away like Dufus did in his review. You will experience the same thing. ALL of my RDS do that. Trijicons, Holosuns, Swampfoxs all. Now, aim at something across the room. parallax is unnoticeable. The moron threw a perfectly good red dot away.

Yup. He’a a moron.

All my RDS behave the exact same way under the same conditions. When I move my camera, the dot appears to move, but in reality, that’a no different than holding my head still, and moving the firearm. The dot remains aligned with a fixed point in space. In my case both of these pistols have the dot positioned to Co-Witnessed exactly with the pistol sights. They are dead on. When my shots miss the mark, the only to blame is my poor shooting discipline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Actually , recently watched a video of a class by Mike Pannone ( sp) making strong case for 15 yard zero for Red Dot .
    I run 15yd zeros on my competition pistols now. I found 10yds to have too many limitations in real use.

That said, a good 10yd zero beats the heck out of a bad 25yd zero.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    you guys are good. I wasted 50 rounds today trying to zero in a red dot. I m slow. I seen gun tubers sight in a red dot with 1 mag. I m 50 rounds in and confused.

Just learned today, move the grouping to the red dot and not the dot to the grouping. Is this true

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    you guys are good. I wasted 50 rounds today trying to zero in a red dot. I m slow. I seen gun tubers sight in a red dot with 1 mag. I m 50 rounds in and confused.

Just learned today, move the grouping to the red dot and not the dot to the grouping. Is this true
    Mebbe I'm slow. Isn't one, the same as the other?

Adjust the red dot to your irons without shooting. You can do that sitting at your kitchen table. Go to the range and fine tune the dot to the target. I prefer a 15 yard zero for the red dot. After that, forget about your iron sights and learn how to point your gun so the red dot shows up as you drive the gun out. That's where practice comes in.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Mebbe I'm slow. Isn't one, the same as the other?

Adjust the red dot to your irons without shooting. You can do that sitting at your kitchen table. Go to the range and fine tune the dot to the target. I prefer a 15 yard zero for the red dot. After that, forget about your iron sights and learn how to point your gun so the red dot shows up as you drive the gun out. That's where practice comes in.
    You are right they are the same. Damn gun tuber. He had iron sight drawn on center of the board, red dot drawn on the left and grouping on the top right. He said move the dot the sight and then grouping to the dot. But what you said. It’s the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom