• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    FWIW, there are a lot of people applying as individuals and getting approvals in weeks, sometimes even days. At the same time, the ATF has straight up said that trusts will continue to take longer because they have to review the trust language and each person involved.

I paid for a trust with National Gun Trusts but ended up not using it. I did it because everything I read said it was a great way to do it, but upon some reflection, I realized I don't plan on loaning out any of my stuff and I don't want anyone to access it or use if I'm not around so I didn't really see the point of continuing with a trust. If and when I die, I will just put the suppressor in my will to go to whoever and they can deal with the ATF.

The second scenario is that you purchased your silencer as an individual. If this is your situation, it may be a good idea to have your will drawn up so you can declare who the silencer will be passed on to. After your death, there can be a free transfer to the beneficiary of the silencer. Your beneficiary will fill out similar paperwork you completed – ATF Form 5 (which is a form for a tax-free transfer), fingerprint cards, certification of compliance form- and submit the forms for the same background check you had. Once the forms are approved, the silencer can be transferred to the new owner. In the interim period, while the forms are being processed, the silencer is held by the executor of the will.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Final Question: Is there a lawyer who any of you fine patriots recommend for an NFA trust?

I have not personally used her services, but know of several who have, with excellent results.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Final Question: Is there a lawyer who any of you fine patriots recommend for an NFA trust?
    Sorry, missed this page also :

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thank you calicojack, for the clarification. It's a fine distinction(I think). I always thought that after July 13th, 2016, anyone added to your trust was required to submit prints and pics in the event of a new purchase. If I was to add a new item to my trust today, wouldn't I need to submit prints and pics, along with the other existing trustees?
    If you add a new NFA item to the trust, then yes I would think so.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I have not personally used her services, but know of several who have, with excellent results.
    Britt Stouffer did our Revocable Living Trust. Only down-side is she is in North Baltimore which might be a bit far for some. She used to come down to MoCo but not anymore. That aside, I recommend her.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thank you calicojack, for the clarification. It's a fine distinction(I think). I always thought that after July 13th, 2016, anyone added to your trust was required to submit prints and pics in the event of a new purchase. If I was to add a new item to my trust today, wouldn't I need to submit prints and pics, along with the other existing trustees?
    So this this is the scenario I was thinking; adding a new co-trustee but not a new firearm:

"An amendment to your gun trust is a change or addition to your gun trust. If your gun trust is a revocable gun trust, you can amend your gun trust to add co-trustees a.k.a. responsible persons, remove co-trustees, change the named beneficiaries, etc. The process to amend your gun trust with our gun trusts is simple. You can print the amendment that applies to the change that you want to make, complete the amendment and have it notarized, signed and dated. After the amendment is notarized the amendment is considered to be executed and is effective. With the current ATF 41 regulations when you amend your gun trust to add a co-trustee, you don't need to have the co-trustee submit paperwork (fingerprint cards, passport photo and ATF 5320.23) to the ATF until the gun trust applies for a new tax stamp."

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So this this is the scenario I was thinking; adding a new co-trustee but not a new firearm:

"An amendment to your gun trust is a change or addition to your gun trust. If your gun trust is a revocable gun trust, you can amend your gun trust to add co-trustees a.k.a. responsible persons, remove co-trustees, change the named beneficiaries, etc. The process to amend your gun trust with our gun trusts is simple. You can print the amendment that applies to the change that you want to make, complete the amendment and have it notarized, signed and dated. After the amendment is notarized the amendment is considered to be executed and is effective. With the current ATF 41 regulations when you amend your gun trust to add a co-trustee, you don't need to have the co-trustee submit paperwork (fingerprint cards, passport photo and ATF 5320.23) to the ATF until the gun trust applies for a new tax stamp."
    Now that clears that up.
    My revokeable trust has three parties in it. Me, my wife, and my daughter. There is a, for lack of the proper term, one stand-by person, just in case the three of us goes down in a plane crash or something. That's my nephew. He is not a trustee though.

My trust was drawn up prior to the cursed ATF 41 reg. and I decided to halt purchases at that point. I do know, if I were to add a new item, post 41, we three would have to supply the requisite updates to our info, prints and pics etc.

That was the point I tried to make in post #11.

FakeID

Aug 5, 2022
    AACo Maryland
    See line 12 and instruction 2f. I know it is on form 1 and form 4. Not sure about others because I haven’t used them
    You had me thinking so I contacted silencer shop since they wrote the trust- They said no need to contact local LEO for new submissions (i get the impression they take care of it) or when adding a new person(s) to the trust (which i still find surprising).

It looks like yall covered it, but if i were to have multiple items on a single trust, and added a new item then all the responsible persons would need to be included with the application for the new item.

Engel007

Mar 16, 2024
    Baltimore
    I only have one suppressor, but is there any benefit to having a gun trust for hand guns and shotguns? What happens to those upon my death? If they're in my will, do they just pass to my beneficiaries without having to go through any probate, etc.?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I only have one suppressor, but is there any benefit to having a gun trust for hand guns and shotguns? What happens to those upon my death? If they're in my will, do they just pass to my beneficiaries without having to go through any probate, etc.?
    The short answer (IHMO) is maybe. That's a good question to ask an attorney, especially if you are putting all of your assets (house, cars, etc.) in a Trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom