• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I'm buying a couple lowers and I plan on using one to build an sbr in the future.

Are you able to swap uppers after registration? The paperwork asks for length and caliber. I wanted a 300 blackout sbr and a 556 sbr of different lengths. Can I register one lower as 2 calibers? Will I have to build two separate rifles and register each?

I've searched, just not clear on being able to swap uppers with varying lengths in different calibers.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You can put different uppers on the same lower as long as you can return the rifle to it's "original configuration".

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    You can put different uppers on the same lower as long as you can return the rifle to it's "original configuration".

Thanks, doc!

And just to be clear, even if that other upper is in a different caliber and let's say 9" compared to the 300 blackout 10.3 I registered it as? It isn't a "new" NFA item?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks, doc!

And just to be clear, even if that other upper is in a different caliber and let's say 9" compared to the 300 blackout 10.3 I registered it as? It isn't a "new" NFA item?

Correct.

As long as you can easily put it back to it's listed "original configuration", you're good to go.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    Here is what I put on my approved Form 1 for my SBR using an ADCOR BEAR lower receiver.

Item 4a, Manufacturer: YOU are the manufacturer of this SBR! I wrote exactly what I had engraved on the receiver (name and city, state). Mine is an individual (vice trust) registration. More to enter if a trust.
    Item 4b, Model: AR-15
    Item 4c, Caliber: 5.56/multi (that's what it said on the receiver, so that's what I listed. Makes me feel confident if i run a different caliber thru)
    Item 4d, Description: SBR
    Item 4g, Serial Number: I used the OEM s/n stamped by ADCOR
    Item 4h, Additional Description: I listed "ADCOR BEAR".
    Item 4i, Reason: To enhance personal collection and other lawful purposes.

The original barrel length is your choice, but you have to make sure you have one in that length sitting somewhere after you get approved. I have 14.5" listed on the Form 1 (which I have), but I also run a 10.5" PSA to really make some noise. Like some of the other members said, as long as you can return the rifle to it's original approved configuration, modify away!

Good luck!

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Here is what I put on my approved Form 1 for my SBR using an ADCOR BEAR lower receiver.

Item 4a, Manufacturer: YOU are the manufacturer of this SBR! I wrote exactly what I had engraved on the receiver (name and city, state). Mine is an individual (vice trust) registration. More to enter if a trust.
    Item 4b, Model: AR-15
    Item 4c, Caliber: 5.56/multi (that's what it said on the receiver, so that's what I listed. Makes me feel confident if i run a different caliber thru)
    Item 4d, Description: SBR
    Item 4g, Serial Number: I used the OEM s/n stamped by ADCOR
    Item 4h, Additional Description: I listed "ADCOR BEAR".
    Item 4i, Reason: To enhance personal collection and other lawful purposes.

The original barrel length is your choice, but you have to make sure you have one in that length sitting somewhere after you get approved. I have 14.5" listed on the Form 1 (which I have), but I also run a 10.5" PSA to really make some noise. Like some of the other members said, as long as you can return the rifle to it's original approved configuration, modify away!

Good luck!

Cogcon,

No offense, but I'm going to have to disagree with your suggestions on filling out the Form 1.

4a. Name and Location of Original Manufacturer: Just like it states, for example my latest build has, Aero Precision Inc., Tacoma, WA.
    4b. Type of Firearm: Short Barrel Rifle (spell it out, no SBR, SBS, etc.)
    4c. Caliber: 5.56mm (Pick a caliber, as ATF has been known to deny people when they put "Multi"). Like stated before, it doesn't matter.
    4d. Model: Model of the receiver put on by the original manufacturer, for example my Aero receiver is of model "X15".
    4e, f: Whatever configuration you originally want to be registered. Again, you can make it whatever length and caliber, as long as it can go back to this original configuration.
    4g. Serial Number: Serial number from the original manufacturer.
    4h. Additional Description: Your first and last name or trust name, city, and state.
    4i. Reason: Whatever, just don't put something stupid like "Super Zombie Killer thingy". For example I put "Collector of rare firearms and firearm accessories." on all of my NFA paperwork.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    OK, one more question: when I bought a silencer, the paperwork from the dealer included the two fingerprint forms that I took for Livescan. If I'm doing a Form 1, where do I get the fingerprint forms? The Livescan joint?

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    If any seasoned NFA vets could chime in on the disagreement above, it would be mucho appreciated.

I did my Form 1 as bobthefisher explained and listed Seekins for 4a.

Just to make things more confusing I have read and heard conflicting information about the need to engrave the lower with the trust name. I asked the ATF guy at a local gun store doing a checkup and he said no you don't need to engrave the lower since the original manufacturer info was on the Form 1 including serial #. I told him he was wrong (very politely) and he went off to call VA and came back with the same answer.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    I did my Form 1 as bobthefisher explained and listed Seekins for 4a.

Just to make things more confusing I have read and heard conflicting information about the need to engrave the lower with the trust name. I asked the ATF guy at a local gun store doing a checkup and he said no you don't need to engrave the lower since the original manufacturer info was on the Form 1 including serial #. I told him he was wrong (very politely) and he went off to call VA and came back with the same answer.

I've heard similar instances from other ATF Field Agents. Although, it's always nice to play it safe, and get it engraved. That being said, I wouldn't lose sleep over it either. There's enough well defined identification markings on modern firearms to make it clear that's the firearm described on the form. In the end, that's really what the ATF is wanting, clear description and identification of the NFA firearm. This will be my tenth SBR, all done in the manner I described above. But, if that's not good enough, I'm sure the reputation of Spike's Tactical should put it to rest :D

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z...13&t=113&sid=4aefe77bda531e326f166bf9daf9b3b2

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    OK, one more question: when I bought a silencer, the paperwork from the dealer included the two fingerprint forms that I took for Livescan. If I'm doing a Form 1, where do I get the fingerprint forms? The Livescan joint?

The ATF's Distribution Center Order Form website. Don't worry it's free, your tax dollars at work... sorta. The ATF has recently updated their ordering distribution site.

http://www.atf.gov/content/distribution-center-order-form

Get two "ITEM_1: FBI FD-258LE - NFA, Imports ORI WVATF0800" fingerprint cards and anything else you might think you want later ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom