• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    I pay pretty big bucks to watch TV (IMO) mostly because of the sportsman and outdoor channel. If they drop gun adds or commercials I will drop them! All of this is starting to get old. Lets move on America....

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    I am on DirectTV but I see plenty of gun manufacturer commercials .... right now Henry rifles comes to mind, plenty of hunting firearm manufacturers on Outdoors channel etc.

DirecTV is the only way to go in Carroll County. Comcast is a pile of poo. Silverado Gun shows just posted on facebook about this. They did not even tell Silverado until this week when they have a show.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    Comcast, the nation's largest cable provider, no longer accepts advertisements from businesses selling guns. The policy change was quietly instituted on Feb. 8 after Comcast acquired a controlling interest in NBC Universal, which already had a policy of not accepting ads relating to firearms. The ban came to light when John Kupiec, president of the advertising agency Canadian American Corp., attempted to purchase an ad for Michigan-based gun store Williams Gun Sight Inc. but was denied, according to CBS News' Detroit affiliate. "Comcast Spotlight has decided it will not accept new advertising for firearms or weapons moving forward," the cable provider said in a statement to CBS. "This policy aligns us with the guidelines in place at many media organizations." Executives at Williams Gun Sight called the policy anti-constitutional. "We’re a perfectly legal company selling a perfectly legal product and they have chosen us out of all the industries out there to make a stand on what’s right or wrong," Williams’ Chief Operating Officer Dan Compeau told CBS. Kupiec said Comcast is the cable provider for two-thirds of the domestic market, which he believes represents a monopoly in the industry. "The next step is we want to get the lawmakers on Capitol Hill to review the monopolistic rights this company (Comcast) currently enjoys as the largest cable provider in the United States," Kupiec said, adding that his firm will consider legal action as a last resort. Compeau said Comcast previously accepted their ads. "We were totally caught off guard by it," he said. "All these TV stations are taking millions, if not billions, from alcohol companies — and alcohol deaths, alcohol sickness, way outpaces anything a gun can do. [Comcast] is two-faced." Kupiec, who has worked in advertising since the 1980s, said this is the first major ban he has ever seen, and that if they wanted to advertise on the Outdoor Channel, The Discovery Channel, or NBC Sports, it wouldn't be a possibility. "If you’re a gun range, if you sell firearms, ammunition, whatever, they will not accept your advertising," he said. "I’m an avid hunter and I believe this is a direct threat on the Second Amendment, a direct assault on legal businesses in the United States, and I think it’s antitrust." Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/comc.../491200?s=al&promo_code=12851-1#ixzz2LXfPROMs Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    Since Comcast is a incumbent protected monopoly this may have 1a concerns.

I have no idea what the policy is but you might want to copy any of your corespondance to the NRA .

It only has 1a concerns if they've ever been a recipient of federal grants or funding. I know they've received Aid money from natural disasters, but not sure if that qualifies them

SirMrManGuy

Feb 14, 2010
    Taupo NZ
    I might be wrong but I believe the networks sell the advertisement not the cable provider.

Actually both do. The commercial blocks have time set out for local commercials which are sold by the cable provider (which is how thing like local car ads get dealt with). You'll usually notice one or two local adds per commercial break mixed with a bunch of national adds.

My guess is that Outdoor/Sportsman will continue to sell gun related adds but any commercial blocks sold by comcast won't.

PS verizon billing sucks, my dad and I both had massive problems and never got them fully resolved/what we were supposed to get.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    More on this ...

USAtoday.com -

Comcast bans gun, ammo ads

Comcast (CMCSA), the nation's largest cable-TV company, made the decision last month after it finalized its purchase of media company NBCUniversal, which Adweek magazine said has had a long-standing in place banning those items and fireworks.

"Consistent with long-standing NBC policies, Comcast Spotlight has decided it will not accept new advertising for firearms or weapons moving forward," said spokesman Chris Ellis of Comcast's advertising sales division, Comcast Spotlight. Comcast has operations in 39 states and the District of Columbia.

Comcast declined to comment on the effect on its finances because of the policy change.

So, it's the same bunch of NBC execs who are calling the shots that give us MSNBC with Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow. Along with ditching Comcast, everyone should 'pass' on NBC shows and their advertisers.

Does anyone have any experience with DISH TV with Internet ? The package for my area ONLY offers a "Download Speed: 1.1 to 3 Mbps"... :tdown:

I guess I stuck with ComCrap because FIOS isn't available.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    It is not widely known that Comcast (or "Commie cast") now owns NBC, MSNBC, and their sister channels.

This far-left oligopolist, featuring Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow, Brian Williams, et al, now has control of both the information pipeline into your bedroom, and the content.

No gun owner or Second Amendment supporter should subscribe to Comcast, if there's any reasonable alternative. I've got fios, and it's much better service anyway.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads