• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Many of us knew that Wayne LaPuke had to go long beforehand. LaPierre and his cronies were doing far more harm than good for years. Sadly, one of them was not removed from office as a result of this case. While I agree that the prosecution was initiated by politics, I believe that it has done us a great favor in removing certain elements that abused their positions. There are still some of the "good 'ol boy" network in positions of power and they also need to go because they enabled the corruption in the first place. Once they are gone, the NRA will be born again and come back even stronger. Pay very close attention to who you vote for when it comes to the Board of Directors!
    All good points. I too want the NRA to become the organization it was intended to be, also believe it will come back. Hopefully this time a much better MANAGED organization.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , Letitia James was politically motivated . Her goal was to take out the NRA , and smear the Gun Rights movement generally. .

And her biggest ally was Wayne and his corrupt cronies . She couldn't have done it without Wayne being corrupt and playing into her hands .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    My hope is that James, snake that she is, will have ultimately done the 2A community a favor.

Now.....there are what....73 "Directors" on the board? Some of them might actually be directing in ways that serve our interests, rather than their own, and rightly belong there. Others, almost certainly not. Only a fool would think that LaPierre was the only bad actor in this play.

What's needed now and going forward, is a way to correctly distinguish the good guys, from the bad guys. And in my mind at least, that's no small feat. It'll likely prove to be as difficult as it is necessary. I'm not even sure where to begin.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    No doubt. In general, everyone has committed a crime, especially by the time they are middle aged.

That said, NRA leadership was legit dirty. If you are going to wear a target, at least follow the spirit of the law if not do your best to follow the letter of it. All of the self dealing, waste, and abuse going on was fairly public even before the NYAG lawsuit.

So was it a political prosecution? Sure thing. Did NRA leadership need to be cleaned up/cleaned house? Also yes. So its hard not to feel really mixed on this one.

I just hope this leads to new leadership that'll actually reform the culture at the top of the org and move it forward rededicating it to safety, training, and lobbying. Rather than how much member funds can we suck out for ourselves.

Exactly how I feel. This is another of those instances where our opponents (Letitia James, in this case) are despicable human beings, but sadly, so is their target. Unfortunately, no good people in this story.

The NRA has also been in dire need of new leadership for many years now. When an organization leadership is more focused on lining its pockets than its core purposes (training and education, fighting against stupid laws, etc.), it is time for that leadership to change.

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    Slightly off topic- the American Red Cross is a FOR PROFIT organization.

Like the NRA, neither is a non-profit.
    American Red Cross is a non profit org.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    American Red Cross is a non profit org.
    So... We can claim blood donations on our taxes?? Learned something new today.

The American Red Cross is recognized by the IRS as a not for profit 501c3 charitable organization. Your donation to the Red Cross is tax deductible to the full extent of the law. However, certain donations in which donors receive a good or service in return for a donation are not tax deductible or may be only partially deductible. Please consult with your financial advisor for the tax implications of your donation.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Some good changes will come from this. Had the case not happened, this abuse may have continued. Its a plague of many orgs. The American Red Cross for example only 10% of donations actually make it to needy.

New leadership at the NRA is good. A vote for Mr. Siegler for the board is a good choice on the recent ballot. Mr. Siegler is a local and dedicated fighter for the 2A cause. Very active in the DSSA. Delaware State Sportsman Association, a great org...
    91% of American Red Cross donations are used for charitable programs, 9% for "overhead" (staff salaries, fundraising and general expenses), and the Red Cross is "Top Rated" by Charity Watch.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So... We can claim blood donations on our taxes?? Learned something new today.
    The "donations" they're talking about are green, not red.

I've known several people who worked at the RC at the pt level. None of them had anything good to say about the organisation, or their experiences there.

From what I've heard from veterans from WWII and Korea, the outfit that really supported and helped the troops was the Salvation Army. Red Cross was meh, at best.

Of course, it's always possible that a large international organisation can continue to grow, and return to focus on its core mission. UN comes to mind; our own dotGov has become far more helpful and attentive to its mission plan as it has expanded over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom