• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Any info about this revolver would be appreciated. I can’t find the caliber stamped anywhere. Ser# is 538xx
    Thanks
    Ron
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The size difference between .38 S&W and .32 S&W is blatantly obvious .

I, I'm about to run out the door to work , but I'll consult SCSW tommorow .

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Yep, the others are right. It was also nicknamed the lemon squeezer, because of the grip safety. Pretty cool little revolver. The only calibers they were made in is 38 or 32 S&W.
    Don’t confuse these with 32S&W long, or 38 special, they are different calibers

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Are you able to tell the year and a rough idea on value
    Thanks
    I’m not Bigfoot……but I’ll try to help.
    It’s been a few years but I was interested/ collected these revolvers for a while.
    Going off memory, the blued ones were a little more rare, as most were nickel plated. That being said, the blueing on yours is not perfect, which will hurt the value. Like everything gun related in the last few years, these have gone up in value. The best way to get a value is to look at the sold prices on gunbroker

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’m not Bigfoot……but I’ll try to help.
    It’s been a few years but I was interested/ collected these revolvers for a while.
    Going off memory, the blued ones were a little more rare, as most were nickel plated. That being said, the blueing on yours is not perfect, which will hurt the value. Like everything gun related in the last few years, these have gone up in value. The best way to get a value is to look at the sold prices on gunbroker
    Thanks that’s my go to. I think knowing the year may help assign value and sell.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Thanks that’s my go to. I think knowing the year may help assign value and sell.
    Oh yeah, I missed that part. I believe you can find the year of manufacture by doing a google search. The pre 1898 ones sell for a slight premium, as they are considered antiques.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My bad ! I forgot to look up in SCSW tonight before leaving for work .

Other internet checking points to it being a Third Model Safety Hammerless , not a Fourth Model . 2nd and 3rd have push button release , 4th has T Handle release . Plus the S/N puts it in the range for Third Model .

Mfg from 1890- 98 , so all are Antique. Guestimating from overall s/n range , would be early 1890's . When I do check SCSW hopefully be able to give the year .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK , just checked the SCSW .

No breakdown by year for these . If going with an equal distribution throughout the Model run , would guesstimate early '92 , possibly late '91 . If you're really into it , you could get a S&W Historical Assn Factory Letter with all the details .

Going over the condition standards used by SCSW for guns of that manufacturing age ( which are meaningfully different for general " Modern Condition ( SCSW has several different age brackets , with 1925 & up being modern ) . Yours is actually pretty good .

For : Original configuration & parts , or only very minor changes , period correct for Era ( ie fancy grips , or slightly modified sights to sight in ) . Only minor parts replaced.

Sharp markings , minor grip blemishes , good bore .

Minimum 70% Original Blue remaining (80% for nickel )

That's SCSW Fine . ( By comparison, " NRA Antique Fine " is over 30 % Original finish .

From from your pics , assuming bore is OK , it looks like a solid Fine .

Depending on if the Bore was excellent, Original internal parts , etc , it could be edging towards Excellent.

My edition has values from 2006 . But even then , that Model in Fine was listed at $ 300 . ( Same condition 4th or 5th @ $265 . Your Model , next grade down $235 , next grade up $475 . All out of date numbers , but gives a feel for relative values .)

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    OK , just checked the SCSW .

No breakdown by year for these . If going with an equal distribution throughout the Model run , would guesstimate early '92 , possibly late '91 . If you're really into it , you could get a S&W Historical Assn Factory Letter with all the details .

Going over the condition standards used by SCSW for guns of that manufacturing age ( which are meaningfully different for general " Modern Condition ( SCSW has several different age brackets , with 1925 & up being modern ) . Yours is actually pretty good .

For : Original configuration & parts , or only very minor changes , period correct for Era ( ie fancy grips , or slightly modified sights to sight in ) . Only minor parts replaced.

Sharp markings , minor grip blemishes , good bore .

Minimum 70% Original Blue remaining (80% for nickel )

That's SCSW Fine . ( By comparison, " NRA Antique Fine " is over 30 % Original finish .

From from your pics , assuming bore is OK , it looks like a solid Fine .

Depending on if the Bore was excellent, Original internal parts , etc , it could be edging towards Excellent.

My edition has values from 2006 . But even then , that Model in Fine was listed at $ 300 . ( Same condition 4th or 5th @ $265 . Your Model , next grade down $235 , next grade up $475 . All out of date numbers , but gives a feel for relative values .)
    Thanks
    The bore actually looks very good. It came to me from a group purchase so I’m definitely selling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom