Overpressurized rounds safer in a revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Yes, revolvers can also be destroyed by overpressure.

Unsafe means unsafe.

Attachments

• image0(1).jpeg
      image0(1).jpeg
      370.9 KB · Views: 22
    • image1(2).jpeg
      image1(2).jpeg
      343 KB · Views: 19

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not sure what I'm missing here.

You certainly shouldn't shoot them.
    You (rightly) don't want to pass them along.
    You're not equipped to salvage components and/or reload with safe charges.
    You don't want to dispose of them.

What then?

Put them in a box in the corner of the basement marked with a "DANGER!" sticker?

Leave boxes on street corners of West Baltimore?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Both Revolvers and Semis have same Pressure Specs and Proof loads .

That said , some guns are stronger than the SAAMI Specs require. But you can't generalize between Semiauto and Revolver. No disrespect to your C.A. , but I'd put it as " Meets SAAMI Requirements " .

The standout Hella Strong 9mm Revolver would be the New Model Blackhawk Convertible. But even at that , I wouldn't shoot it .

It sucks that you have a stack of crap ammo when Refund isn't on the table . But your choices are limited.

Break it down into components ( case and projectile ).

Dispose .

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I agree with all the advice to just take the loss of the cost of the ammo vs. risking the loss of your hands, sight, or beauty.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a 9mm revolver anyway :shrug:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I understand.

There is often more variation in the weight of the brass than the amount of powder in a double charge, so that notion is off the table.

With an investment like that, IMO your best bet would be to invest in bullet puller to break them down. I'd use the powder for fertilizer and either sell the cases and bullets or reload them yourself.
    This. You won't reliably detect a double charge because of the possible variation in brass and projectile weight.

Very good components might have a grain or so tolerance across them.

Average stuff is probably going to be 2-3gr across them. Really crappy stuff might be more, and don't even get started if it is different head stamp reused brass. I've seen more than a 4gr difference in loaded 9mm even with same head stamp. And I am 100% positive they all had the same powder charge.

To double charge a case, you have to be running a fast high density powder like Bullseye or titegroup. That double charge might be only 4gr of extra powder...

OP

Even if the revolver didn't blow up, it wasn't designed to run 70k PSI, so you ARE causing damage/significant wear.

An inertial hammer to pull apart the rounds is like $20 and a weekend of your time to pull it all apart.

If you want to recoup anything, rip it all apart and sell the bullets as pulls and sell the primed cases. If it is 4000 rounds, you could probably get $150-200 for the bullets (if not mangled) and $300-400 for the primed cases.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    This. You won't reliably detect a double charge because of the possible variation in brass and projectile weight.

Very good components might have a grain or so tolerance across them.

Average stuff is probably going to be 2-3gr across them. Really crappy stuff might be more, and don't even get started if it is different head stamp reused brass. I've seen more than a 4gr difference in loaded 9mm even with same head stamp. And I am 100% positive they all had the same powder charge.

To double charge a case, you have to be running a fast high density powder like Bullseye or titegroup. That double charge might be only 4gr of extra powder...

OP

Even if the revolver didn't blow up, it wasn't designed to run 70k PSI, so you ARE causing damage/significant wear.

An inertial hammer to pull apart the rounds is like $20 and a weekend of your time to pull it all apart.

If you want to recoup anything, rip it all apart and sell the bullets as pulls and sell the primed cases. If it is 4000 rounds, you could probably get $150-200 for the bullets (if not mangled) and $300-400 for the primed cases.
    This.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I get that it was a lot of money, but try to think of it this way; if the ammo was safe, you probably would have shot it all up by now? Think of it as water under the bridge.

I'm sure someone here would be willing to lend you a single stage press. All you would have to buy is a bullet puller with a 9mm collet. Do not save the powder. Spread it over your lawn(it will love you for it), sell the remaining components, and move on.

This advice was provided by someone who has experienced an exploding pistol.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Here are links to an inexpensive press and pullers/collets. Note, research well, some pullers do not accommodate
    pistol or lead bullets.

MOre presses to look at in the Lee line since they are relatively inexpensive.

Look for used presses for sale. Sometimes priced at nickels on the dollar.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Pull the bullet, use the powder as fertilizer (or make a nice fire fountain if you're a pyro like me), and shove a foam earplug into the primed casing. Now you have a spicy nerf round for dry-fire/quick draw practice! Obviously won't cycle in blowbacks, but revolvers will shoot them all the same. Bonus: scrap/sell the brass 9mm casings, and sell the bullets on MDS to compensate for your time and investment on getting a bullet puller (a cheapo amazon puller works fine):

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom