• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm concerned about indoor range safety because of a personal health issue. I now have to use supplemental oxygen and have a portable machine that I carry in a backpack.
    Some "pure" oxygen is around my head and shoulders when I'm using the machine.
    I'm wondering if it might be a hazard while shooting indoors.
    Any scientists / doctors / military Docs know the answer?
    No, I can't hold my breath while I'm shooting. I'm not that good. :-)
    Thanks

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm concerned about indoor range safety because of a personal health issue. I now have to use supplemental oxygen and have a portable machine that I carry in a backpack.
    Any scientists / doctors / military Docs know the answer?
    No, I can't hold my breath while I'm shooting. I'm not that good. :-)
    Thanks
    Not a scientific guy. I'm not even a doc.

I have seen multiple people using oxygen (tanks or concentrators) on ranges before. It is not going to hurt you.

Add in the forward movement of air designed into modern indoor.range HVAC and the extra 02 won't be around your head in any remotely significant concentration or duration.

Don't use your device while huffing gasoline. Or acetylene. That could be bad.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Pretty sure those oxygen concentrators do not make "pure" (100%) oxygen, not even close. So I really don't think it is a hazard like tanked O2 is.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    The tanks are really only a problem if they are punctured. Or if they leak catastrophically in the presence of reducing agents.

If I had a tank and mask, I'd probably keep it behind he while on the range. Just so there was no potential for a bullet to errantly impact it. They are tougher than you might think. I seriously doubt conventional handgun ammo would do much unless you managed to take the brass valve off the top (literally shooting the top off the proverbial bottle).

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm concerned about indoor range safety because of a personal health issue. I now have to use supplemental oxygen and have a portable machine that I carry in a backpack.
    A lot of it is dependant on the setup you are using. There are fow and pulse modes but generally speaking they put out from 80%-90% oxygen. With a reasonable ventilated range (aka anything indoors with an airflow toward the targets) you will not have a buildup of oxygen "bubbles" anywhere around your person. Still, you can accidentally ignite the mask or anything in very close vincity of the outflow and it will burn much more rapidly than you would be accustomed to.
    As far as range safety goes - if you are not dependant on the oxygen 24/7 you might want to pause during shooting. If not, try to avoid ignition sources right in your face like some muzzleloaders.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    A lot of it is dependant on the setup you are using. There are fow and pulse modes but generally speaking they put out from 80%-90% oxygen. With a reasonable ventilated range (aka anything indoors with an airflow toward the targets) you will not have a buildup of oxygen "bubbles" anywhere around your person. Still, you can accidentally ignite the mask or anything in very close vincity of the outflow and it will burn much more rapidly than you would be accustomed to.
    As far as range safety goes - if you are not dependant on the oxygen 24/7 you might want to pause during shooting. If not, try to avoid ignition sources right in your face like some muzzleloaders.
    Good point on the loose powder.....as a person who doesn't use muzzle loaders, I completely forgot about them. I assumed encapsulated ammunition. My mistake and my thanks to boule for calling this one.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Anecdote of 1:

I recently took a 4hr pistol class at the NRA HQ Range in Fairfax. About ~15 students in total that spent most of the time on line firing at the 10yd. One student two points over from me and next to the wall had one of those backpack oxygen tanks that is mentioned here, with those nasal tube thingies and not a full face mask. He didn't seem to have any issues, including one tank change near the 3 hour mark.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    There's never ZERO risk, but standard range precautions are quite adequate. There is no 'pure' O2 around you, it's just a mildly higher concentration.

O2 concentrator

Thank you all! It's only in the last three months that I've started 'wearing' a pulse O2 concentrator and using a nasal cannula. I haven't been to a range in that time. I don't shoot black powder, mostly revolvers and lever guns, where permitted. (Old school) It'll be good to be able to resume shooting.
    Thanks again for your thoughtful replies.

Must say this is the first time I've seen this particular question asked
    I said that badly. Sorry! I meant to say that I'm concerned about muzzle flash now that I have to use supplemental oxygen. My usual carry in the boonies of South Dakota was a .44 mag Redhawk. I'm hoping to shoot it occasionally at a range, along with some other pieces. I'll change from my usual field loads to something more suitable for use at a range.
    [Pic for emphasis. It's not me.]

Attachments

• 315094375_da2d13482c_z.jpg
      315094375_da2d13482c_z.jpg
      46.1 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member