• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cvillanueva

Feb 13, 2012
    Waldorf
    When you buy a .22 rifle, do you get any of the paperwork you signed back?
    I've bought a pistol before and got pink or yellow copies before. But when I bough a m&p 15-22 the dealer said I didn't need any of the copies. Can anyone confirm? is this the same or shotguns?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The difference is that a regulated purchase has MD paperwork where a regular gun is just Federal paperwork. The Fed's don't give you back anything, MD does.

Jack Gordon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2011
    Places Unknown
    I don't keep paperwork on anything. The way I see it, all the hoops you have to jump through to get said gun, let them keep records of everything

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Whenever I buy a used gun I always have it done regulated. They check the gun against the Stolen Gun Databases. This is a worthwhile tradeoff for me to #1 know the gun isnt hot, and #2 gives me a paper trail.

thats a good point..

but if the said firearm is from a ffl.. doesnt that already get the check if its stolen etc since they have to log it in?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    thats a good point..

but if the said firearm is from a ffl.. doesnt that already get the check if its stolen etc since they have to log it in?

No check is done to book a gun in at a FFL. It would be nice if we had a database WE could use to check firearms but we dont.

Technically a stolen non regulated gun can be booked in a FFL, sold on a 4473 and NEVER be hit as stolen. The MSP and Feds dont really look for stolen guns when they audit, and when a 4473 is done no make, model, or serial # is given so its not possible to it on a stolen gun.

WHen you do a 77r/7 Day Wait in MD they do a check on stolen guns so you get some added value for the inconvience IMHO.

Want to know how the Law will find out if the gun you bought was stolen if it really was? When you get pulled over for a Traffic Stop coming home from the range and somehow the LEO discovers firearms and the #'s get run. Now YOU are in posession of stolen property. Its highly likely youll spend time in Jail till you can prove you had no knowldege of the guns provenance, and that you bought it legitimately.

Not cool in my book. In every gun case I have a copy of the 4473, bill of sale/receipt, or the 77r forms. If I get locked up for something minor up and dont show up for work Im "done" (Fired), wether the charges are legit or not.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    No check is done to book a gun in at a FFL. It would be nice if we had a database WE could use to check firearms but we dont.

Technically a stolen non regulated gun can be booked in a FFL, sold on a 4473 and NEVER be hit as stolen. The MSP and Feds dont really look for stolen guns when they audit, and when a 4473 is done no make, model, or serial # is given so its not possible to it on a stolen gun.

WHen you do a 77r/7 Day Wait in MD they do a check on stolen guns so you get some added value for the inconvience IMHO.

Want to know how the Law will find out if the gun you bought was stolen if it really was? When you get pulled over for a Traffic Stop coming home from the range and somehow the LEO discovers firearms and the #'s get run. Now YOU are in posession of stolen property. Its highly likely youll spend time in Jail till you can prove you had no knowldege of the guns provenance, and that you bought it legitimately.

Not cool in my book. In every gun case I have a copy of the 4473, bill of sale/receipt, or the 77r forms. If I get locked for something minor up and dont show up for work Im "done" (Fired), wether the charges are legit or not.

:thumbsup:

never have bought used (well except for mosins). but i get what you said. thanks!

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Whenever I buy a used gun I always have it done regulated. They check the gun against the Stolen Gun Databases. This is a worthwhile tradeoff for me to #1 know the gun isnt hot, and #2 gives me a paper trail.

Chad,

If you have a non-regulated gun done on a 77R, is it now in the maryland system as a regulated weapon? If so then sale of said item in the future would require 77R also, correct?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad,

If you have a non-regulated gun done on a 77R, is it now in the maryland system as a regulated weapon? If so then sale of said item in the future would require 77R also, correct?

If done FTF I would handle it regulated, but if I transfer through a Dealer/FFL then its just a 4473.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't know that there's any law that would support this assumption. There are some examples of guns that became "deregulated" as a result of an MSP bulletin (eg, M&P15-22, GSG5, etc.).

I'm also not entirely sure the MSP like people transferring non-regulated guns as regulated.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Well that was kinda along the lines of my question. If you do a 77R for say a remington 870, then isnt that gun in Marylands registry as belonging to you. You then would have to do an 77R if you were to want to sell it to someone else?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well that was kinda along the lines of my question. If you do a 77R for say a remington 870, then isnt that gun in Marylands registry as belonging to you. You then would have to do an 77R if you were to want to sell it to someone else?
    Nah. For one thing, consider what would happen if you sold it out of state (via FFL)? It'd still be in the MD's registry as belonging to you, yet it would manifestly not belong to you in any legal fashion. This is a well-known issue with the registry.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Nah. For one thing, consider what would happen if you sold it out of state (via FFL)? It'd still be in the MD's registry as belonging to you, yet it would manifestly not belong to you in any legal fashion. This is a well-known issue with the registry.

Right, but you would be able to show it went to another dealer out of state (FFL). If you private saled it in MD and they came and asked you about wether you still own said weapon and you replied you sold it to "joe blow" FTF would they question why it was done as regulated prior to being sold FTF?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Right, but you would be able to show it went to another dealer out of state (FFL).
    How? Why? You don't have a bound book. You're not an FFL. You are under no obligation to prove anything to the MSP.

If you private saled it in MD and they came and asked you about wether you still own said weapon and you replied you sold it to "joe blow" FTF would they question why it was done as regulated prior to being sold FTF?
    Tell them that the regulated paperwork was filed erroneously the first time. But, of course, IANAL, and if you want legal advice, you need to talk to a lawyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom