• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Plan to do some pattern testing with my new Mossy 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel this weekend. My game plan is to shoot at 7, 10, 15 and 20 yards to targets that are approximatly 3' X 3' with a 30 inch circle and a point of aim circle in the center. Then I will count the impacts within the 30" circle to get an idea of what is going on. Having never done this type of pattern testing before but having done a little research I am just looking for input or suggestions on my game plan.

Thanks in advance,

WGS

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    What are you going to pattern? OO Buckshot? If so, I'd pattern the gun and 20 yards and be done with it. It would seem to me that patterning 00 at 7 yards is a waste of a shell. Any pattern closer than 20 yards is going to be tighter because the pellets spread apart the further they get from the muzzle.

If the 9 pellets hit the target, near center mass, at 20 yards you're good to go.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks for the input and I agree but I am planning on testing several different loads thus the different distances.

WGS

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What I did, was find the longest distance in my house that I would every pontentially have to shoot, walked that distance off and fire a few rounds. You'd be suprised and how tight the groups are.

Good luck, be intersted in your findings.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Plan to do some pattern testing with my new Mossy 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel this weekend. My game plan is to shoot at 7, 10, 15 and 20 yards to targets that are approximatly 3' X 3' with a 30 inch circle and a point of aim circle in the center. Then I will count the impacts within the 30" circle to get an idea of what is going on. Having never done this type of pattern testing before but having done a little research I am just looking for input or suggestions on my game plan.

Thanks in advance,

WGS

IF you are 'set' on patterning your shotgun at close distances (you stated 7, 10, 15 and 20 yards), try this:

Set up a wide sheet of paper (I normally find brown kraft 'wrapping paper' or the back of Christmas wrapping paper!), and place it between to posts/stakes.

Take a paper plate and tape/staple that to the center of the paper.
    Put a "Dot" in the center of the paper plate. (That is your aiming point.)

Fire a round at 7 yards, with the 'dot' as your aiming point.
    I can pretty much guarantee that this shot will be 'Minute of Paper Plate' and most likely will have all pellets in a pattern about the size of your fist.

The same will happen at 10 yards, and I'll wager that all the pellets will remain on the paper plate. (Unless you're shooting from the hip, and have never fired a shotgun, before.)

If you really want to pattern your shotgun for HD/SD purposes, concentrate on 15 and 20 yards, although, I'd keep the mindset that 20 yards (60 feet) is a longshot inside of a home with a shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom