• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    One of the in-laws is interested in getting into shooting. I'd like to avoid the NRA headquarters if possible. Somewhere in the neighborhoods of Arlington/Sterling if possible. Many thanks!

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Here are three options I know of (Arlington to Sterling is a big area):

Gilbert's Small Arms Range (Lorton, near I-95 & Fairfax County Parkway)
    - I used to shoot here weekly when I lived in Arlington
    - small 25yd range for pistols/22lr and shotguns by permission (slug only(?))
    - cheap (was $10/hr), but fills up fast (10 lanes?) on weekends; weeknights were best
    - ventilation is crummy

Blue Ridge Arsenal (Chantilly, near Rt 28 & Dulles Toll Road)
    - not too expensive ($15/hr?), almost 20 lanes(?)
    - I only went there once; seemed to be a 25yd pistol/rifle/slug range
    - they were fixing half the range to upgrade the ventilation at the time, so I couldn't see what was over on that side; it may be more distance
    - they used to be "lead free," but the ventilation upgrade was supposed to let all ammo be OK now
    - the owner is infamous in RKBA circles because he was caught on TV being giddy over the post-election gun-rush, while mentioning that he voted for Team BO :eek:

Silver Eagle Group (Ashburn somewhere)
    - newest range in the area
    - they seem to be both a "private membership" facility and also a .gov/mil Blackwater-type training facility (with shoot-house)
    - I believe it is a 50yd range, not sure how many lanes, supposed to handle up to .50BMG
    - they offer walk-in range use at $25/hr, but members have priority and non-members can only shoot twice per month (shoot-house for upper-tier members only)
    - not sure how many members they have; the tiers are (1) $50k lifetime + $350/mo "Founder" (2) $5k lifetime + $150/mo "Sportsman", and (3) $100 annual + $35/mo "Annual"

If you were looking to avoid the mall-ninjas at the NRA range, the bubbas at Gilbert's, or the owner at Blue Ridge, I would try Silver Eagle.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Thanks for the info, K-Romulus. I know Arlington to Sterling is a big area, but that's where the two interested parties live. I don't have any problems with mall ninjas and such, as long as they keep the business end down range and understand the concept of a cold range.

Maybe I'll just have them come up here. :D

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Thanks for the info, K-Romulus. I know Arlington to Sterling is a big area, but that's where the two interested parties live. I don't have any problems with mall ninjas and such, as long as they keep the business end down range and understand the concept of a cold range.

Maybe I'll just have them come up here. :D

Good to hear - I've apparently been guilty of being a mall-ninja at NRA-HQ . . . the only place outside the FBI Academy to find that many pair of 5.11 pants in one area. LOL . . . .but it is a well run range, though. Any reason why you're avoiding it?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I've heard that the NRA range is just a mob scene on the weekends. I also read today on the boards that the NRA range is pretty strict when it comes to safety. I might actually go there now to have the in-laws see how it should be done (and correct me if I do something stupid).

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I've heard that the NRA range is just a mob scene on the weekends. I also read today on the boards that the NRA range is pretty strict when it comes to safety. I might actually go there now to have the in-laws see how it should be done (and correct me if I do something stupid).

I've had the best luck dealing with the weekend crowds by either going 7pm or later at night (Fri/Sat), or getting there just short of one hour after opening, so as catch the start of the second wave of shooters (one hour time limit if people are waiting).

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    I actually like Gilberts in Springfield during the weekday if possible There are no crowds and even though it is an older facility it is ok to take some vengeance on paper targets. The NRA range is nice but mostly crowded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom